Open Office or other alternative?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by whyrichard, Mar 10, 2007.

1. whyrichard macrumors 68000

Hello!

I am tired of microsoft on my windows machine and have since begun using open office on it. i was wondering how the open office Mac counterpart was.

How is Open Office for Mac?

are there any alternatives that are better?

thanks,
    r.

2. psycoswimmer macrumors 65816

psycoswimmer

Try Neo Office. It's the Mac OS X port of Open Office. I use it, but I'm going to buy iWork '07 when it comes out.

3. OwlsAndApples macrumors 6502a

OwlsAndApples

Beaten to it...

NeoOffice:

Linky

Is a mac-optimised version of Open Office, and it works really nicely.
    A new version is due this month as well, to ease its slight lag behind OpenOffice.

4. whyrichard thread starter macrumors 68000

Thank you!

is the current beta 2.0 stable?

and will i be able to easily transfer files from open office on windows and neooffice on mac?

thanks,
    r.

5. OwlsAndApples macrumors 6502a

OwlsAndApples

Yes, I think so. I've never had any problems, just make sure you download the patch as well :)

As far as I'm aware they use exactly the same standards and file types so yes. :)

6. whyrichard thread starter macrumors 68000

i love it!

i do hope that open source overtakes microsoft's current business model....

thanks,
    r.

7. tombarnes macrumors 6502

tombarnes

I've had Neo Office go weird once of twice in the year or so I've been using it, I'd say just ensure you save regualrly, and you'll be fine. They release an update every couple of weeks, so bugs are amended quite promptly. But 'cos it's free, I love it. It does just about everything any Office-type suite does. So it's brill!

By the way, I haven't had Neo Office crash for a while, so fingers crossed they have fixed any crashing bugs! :)

8. psycoswimmer macrumors 65816

psycoswimmer

Make sure you save often, as I've had Neo Office crash quite a few times. Also, one time it decided not to save my document, even though I saved about 5 times.

9. wmmk macrumors 68020

wmmk

bottom line, if you can't use word, use iWork if you need reliability, NeoOffice is you want a full featured suite. or use iWork with the neo office spreadsheet tool or google spreadsheets. it's actually quite impressive for a web script. then again, it's from google.;) :)

10. ppnkg macrumors 6502a

ppnkg

though Neooffice Write becomes less responsive with larger texts sometimes. But I should say I prefer that to word's annoying paternalism.

11. biturbomunkie macrumors 6502a

ooo is usable on my mac. it has slight lags at times and requires x11. i'd use ooo instead of buying office 2004. but imo iwork '06 or office 2007 (with parallels) works better.