open office

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by dorqiekat, Aug 16, 2004.

1. dorqiekat macrumors 6502a

Is there open office thats not x11? I tried to download open office and the only one I could find was the x11. And I'm new to apple and don't feel I should atempt to try anything new just yet. Any advice? Text edit is great, but it's lacking a bit to what I'm used to.

2. IscariotJ macrumors 6502a

3. dorqiekat thread starter macrumors 6502a

so no then... does anyone know if the text edit can auto correct? for instance, capitalizing a word at the beginning of the sentence. And if there is a dictonary/ thesaurus program to attach into text edit. Like one would press shift f7 for the program for ms office.

4. kanaka macrumors member

There is NeoOffice/J, which is an OpenOffice port that uses Java instead of X11. However, it's only a prototype and runs very slowly. You should give the X11 version a try. It's about as far from a Mac user interface as you can get, but it's still a nice office suite and it's free!

5. kanaka macrumors member

You probably already know this, but there is a spell checker available under the "Edit" menu. Select Edit->Spelling->Check Spelling As You Type, or select "Spelling..." for the interactive version. This spell checker is available in other OS X apps (Safari, Mail, etc). I don't think there's an auto-correct feature in TextEdit though.