"Open" order status that cannot be changed

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by rougert, Dec 8, 2004.

1. rougert macrumors newbie

Tuesday November 30, 2004 about 4:21 p.m. PST I placed an order for a 12" PowerBook.

Tuesday November 30, 2004 about 9:33 EST, I sent an email to applestoreinfo@apple.com requesting them to make a change in my order.

Wednesday December 01, 2004 about 09:15 a.m. CST I called the Apple Store to make a change in my order. I was told that my order has been processed and making a change is no longer possible. The status at this point was "Open".

Wednesday December 01, 2004 about 1:07 a.m. CST I placed an order for a 15" PowerBook.

Wednesday, December 01, 2004 2:17 PM I received a response from applestoreinfo@apple.com saying that "Your request was received after the order had been submitted for shipping. At this time, Apple is unable to change or cancel your order."

Sunday December 05, 2004 -- the order status is still "Open" for the 12" PowerBook.

According to the Apple's site,

Change or cancel your order
    If your order status is listed as "Order Received" or "Open," you may change or cancel your order. If you need to change or cancel your order, please contact us right away at 1-800-676-2775. If your order has partially or completely shipped from our warehouse, you will not be able to change or cancel your order. If this is the case, please wait for your product to arrive, then return it using our standard returns process.
    Unquote

Monday December 06, 2004 about 12:00 noon PST I received the 15" PowerBook. My daughter was delighted and was very happy to receive it. She used it immediately.

Tuesday December 07, 2004 about 12:00 noon PST I received the 12" PowerBook. I immediately phoned the Apple Store to get RMA numbers for the 12" PowerBook and the iPod charger. I got the RMA numbers. Then I shipped the 2 items to Apple Canada as instructed. I spent a total of $81.47 for shipping and insurance for the total declared shipment amount of $2,500.00. I would not have spent this much had the Apple Store effect a change in my order, plus credit card interest (because I charged this to my credit card). :mad:

Because the status for the 12" PowerBook is still "Open" I called again the Apple Store for the second time to effect the change. Again they told me it is not possible. I also sent another e-mail to them. The response was the same. :(

Wednesday December 08, 2004 -- My daughter sent me an email advising me that she is very happy with her 15" PowerBook. She has been using this since Monday December 06. :)

2. jimsowden macrumors 68000

jimsowden

3. StarbucksSam macrumors 65816

StarbucksSam

Apple's customer service priorites have really gone down the toilet in recent years.