Open with and Save dialog boxes take ages to load

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Jesus, Mar 15, 2006.

1. Jesus macrumors 6502

Any Open with or Save dialog boxes take an age to load, this only started to happen in the 10.4.5 update. I am using an iMac 20" (intel version), and this is getting really annoying. :mad: :mad: :mad:

This is the offending window type:

Attached Files:

2. gekko513 macrumors 603

Oct 16, 2003
    So do mine, especially in Photoshop Elements. Do you have iDisk? I have a vague theory that it is the culprit in my case.

Edit: Ah, I see iDisk in your screen shot. That reinforces my theory.
  3. Craigy macrumors 6502

Jan 14, 2003
    New Zealand
    I'm getting the same a lot of the time. Again, like you, this only seems to have start happening after 10.4.5. Dual 2ghz G5
  4. yellow Moderator emeritus

Oct 21, 2003
    Portland, OR
    I think you're on the right path Gekko. This complaint seems to surround the use of iDisk as a back up.
  5. Jesus thread starter macrumors 6502

So I'm not the only one, this is weird. Why would apple replace working code with code that works a lot slower? Craigy, do you have an iDisk? If so this would re-enforce gekko513's theory.
  6. Craigy macrumors 6502

Jan 14, 2003
    New Zealand
    Nope - not using iDisk.

There's been lots of occasions where Apple have 'broken' something with an update. I'm sure it'll get fixed. It doesn't seem to happen all the time and some applications suffer more than others - particularly Fireworks and Dreamweaver on my system
  7. winterdude010 macrumors regular

Feb 24, 2006
    New York
    Not me

I use iDisk to back things up, and I have 10.4.5, I use an iMac G5 2 Ghz, and I have no problems like you guys are having
  8. MacRumoron macrumors 6502

Sep 6, 2005
    Once I started using .mac 60 day trial, i have had this same problem..

When i removed my iDisk the problem went away, so I am pretty sure the cause of this is your iDisk....

I think this only happens if you set your iDisk to automatically sync.. I remember reading something about it somewhere :rolleyes:
  9. Zoowatch macrumors 6502

Jan 6, 2004
    Sheffield, UK
    i have the same problem too...

the first time the "open" or "save as" box is opened in MS word or Adobe Photoshop.... it can take around 10 seconds

i have 2 x 500 GB SATA hard disk and iDisk

not sure what is causing this problem
  10. Josh macrumors 68000

Mar 4, 2004
    State College, PA
    Jesus never has problems saving, what are you talking about :p
  11. alexstein macrumors 6502a

Aug 23, 2004
    I have never had that problem. I use iDisk but I don't use the automatic sync. option. It might be the culprit for all I know!