"open with" excluding backup ddrive?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Earendil, Jul 25, 2005.

1. Earendil macrumors 68000

Earendil

I have an external partitioned drive that I use to backup my laptop drive. I have it mounted most of the time because I use the other half of the drive for storage. I have Spotlight set to ignore searching the backup drive, but I can't figure out how to keep the "Open With" option (when selecting a file and opening it) to excluding giving my apps on the backup drive.

I don't beelive there is an option for it, so is anyone aware of a hack or 3rd party trick to turn it off? Any ideas?

Thanks guys, you're all great :)

~Earendil
    ~Tyler

2. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

There have been a couple of threads (including one started by me) about the Open With menu. It doesn't seem like anyone around here knows of anything like you're asking for, but if you find it, let me know cause I've been looking for awhile too.

3. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Talking off the top of my head here (for a change), but coudn't you rename the backed up Apps with a space or something in front of their names?

4. Earendil thread starter macrumors 68000

Earendil

I don't think the spaces are a good idea, it will probably screw up the auto sync. Yeah I came across a few threads without answer. I was hoping someone had since found something out and not come back to post it... bummer.

And we're talking about Tiger here, sorry I didn't mention that.

~Earendil

5. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Oh well, it seemed like a good idea at the time.
    :rolleyes: