"Open With..." Menu Duplicates

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Heb1228, Jul 23, 2005.

1. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

When I right-click (control-click) on different types of files and choose the "Open With" menu, a list of different apps appear, as it should. The problem though is that often several of the programs are listed twice. With some file types, every application in the menu is listed twice, making the list unnecessaily long.

Does anyone know what causes this issue or how to fix it? Its not that I have two copies of the programs installed, I've checked that.

For instance, right-clicking on a jpeg file give me two instance each of: RealPlayer, JView, Opera (6.03) (as well as a third instance of Opera 7), along with many others that appear only once.

2. Heb1228 thread starter macrumors 68020

Heb1228

Heres a screenshot

Attached Files:

• ss.jpg
      ss.jpg
      File size:
      114.7 KB
      Views:
  3. reh macrumors 6502a

I imagine you have multiple copies of those apps on your hard drive. See what a search turns up.

4. Heb1228 thread starter macrumors 68020

Heb1228

Well I knew I didn't have multiple copies, but I did find I had shortcuts to most of the ones showing up twice. I trashed those shortcuts and the problem still exists, but I'm betting thats just cause the list is cached somewhere and doesn't update automatically or something. Hopefully this solved it.