Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bLiss

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 14, 2005
usa
No, this is a brand new computer so everything is pretty much as it should be right now. I added a second user... perhaps this is the issue, but that's a pretty stupid side-effect of having multiple users.

bigandy

macrumors G3
Apr 30, 2004
Murka
i've been noticing this happening since updating to 10.4.9.

it's starting to bug me :rolleyes:

mine happens without any extra volumes mounted, and i can't think what may be causing it.

davidjearly

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2006
Glasgow, Scotland
Hi everyone I wonder if anyone knows how to fix this one:

For a .jpg file, for instance, the Open With menu shows some Apps once (Preview, Imagewell, or Colorview) but others twice (Firefox, Safari, and Quicktime).

I tried the solution presented here: http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20031215144430486 but sadly to no avail.

Any ideas? Thanks.

I'd suggest trying that again, making sure you are executing the command exactly as written. I recently had to do this and it worked perfectly.

David

NightStorm

macrumors 68000
Jan 26, 2006
Whitehouse, OH
I've had this issue present itself on one of my systems since upgrading to 10.4.9. I'll take a look at the website suggested above and report back.

bLiss

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 14, 2005
usa
I'd suggest trying that again, making sure you are executing the command exactly as written. I recently had to do this and it worked perfectly.

David

Good idea!! lol. I thought I typed it perfectly but the old copy-n-paste made sure it was right, and this time Terminal took more than a split second to complete the task, and it is fixed!

I'm glad that I, albeit unintentionally, could bring others with the same issue aware of the solution. Woohoo!

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
FWIW, MainMenu is handy maintenance app that includes an option to rebuild LaunchServices. That way you can do it through a GUI without having to worry about making errors with Terminal commands.

soLoredd

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2007
California
I actually read somewhere else that OnyX can do it so I ran the "Reset LaunchServices" tool. Everything went fine and now I'm back to just having one icon of the app show up.

But, my question is, is it normal now that apps are asking me to open up for the first time? For example, I open a .nzb file by double-clicking on it and a prompt pops up saying "This is the first time you are running this application. Do you want to proceed?"

I figure it's normal because the file association has been lost with the reset but I just want to make sure. Thanks :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.