"Open With" shows some Apps twice

Discussion in 'macOS' started by bLiss, Mar 23, 2007.

1. bLiss macrumors member

bLiss

Hi everyone I wonder if anyone knows how to fix this one:

For a .jpg file, for instance, the Open With menu shows some Apps once (Preview, Imagewell, or Colorview) but others twice (Firefox, Safari, and Quicktime).

I tried the solution presented here: http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20031215144430486 but sadly to no avail.

Any ideas? Thanks.

2. HungrySeacow macrumors regular

Do you by any chance have more then one copy of these programs on your system, or on a USB/Fireware drive connected to your system?

3. bLiss thread starter macrumors member

bLiss

No, this is a brand new computer so everything is pretty much as it should be right now. I added a second user... perhaps this is the issue, but that's a pretty stupid side-effect of having multiple users.

4. bigandy macrumors G3

bigandy

i've been noticing this happening since updating to 10.4.9.

it's starting to bug me :rolleyes:

mine happens without any extra volumes mounted, and i can't think what may be causing it.

5. davidjearly macrumors 68020

davidjearly

I'd suggest trying that again, making sure you are executing the command exactly as written. I recently had to do this and it worked perfectly.

David

6. NightStorm macrumors 68000

I've had this issue present itself on one of my systems since upgrading to 10.4.9. I'll take a look at the website suggested above and report back.

7. McGarvels macrumors 6502

McGarvels

I've had this on my MB and iMac since I've got them basically. This solution worked for me perfectly. Thanks bLiss!

8. bLiss thread starter macrumors member

bLiss

Good idea!! lol. I thought I typed it perfectly but the old copy-n-paste made sure it was right, and this time Terminal took more than a split second to complete the task, and it is fixed!

I'm glad that I, albeit unintentionally, could bring others with the same issue aware of the solution. Woohoo!

9. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

FWIW, MainMenu is handy maintenance app that includes an option to rebuild LaunchServices. That way you can do it through a GUI without having to worry about making errors with Terminal commands.

10. soLoredd macrumors 6502a

I actually read somewhere else that OnyX can do it so I ran the "Reset LaunchServices" tool. Everything went fine and now I'm back to just having one icon of the app show up.

But, my question is, is it normal now that apps are asking me to open up for the first time? For example, I open a .nzb file by double-clicking on it and a prompt pops up saying "This is the first time you are running this application. Do you want to proceed?"

I figure it's normal because the file association has been lost with the reset but I just want to make sure. Thanks :)