OpenGL Graphics?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by bballguy998, May 8, 2006.

1. bballguy998 macrumors newbie

Do any of the current intel based macintosh computers have graphics cards that are 100% openGL capable? the only real reason im telling myself that i want a intel based computer, instead of a buying a ibook(dont need it but for internet, downloading, word, photo's, basics, ect. im a sophomore in hs, and would rather pay the cheapest) would be to run applications that require harsh 3d graphics use such as inventor, studio max 8, and architectual desktop.

Also, are there any macintosh antivirus programs that detect and delete windows viruses from downloaded files?

2. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Yes all of them.

As for the video card question, which I don't have a definitive answer for you, you're putting yourself at odds stating that you don't want to pay a lot of money for a Mac, yet you want to run some pretty harsh GPU apps. I think you'll find yourself to be quite upset if you get an iBook and try to do that.

3. bballguy998 thread starter macrumors newbie

hanks,

if I get an ibook, it wont be runing harsh apps. (I have my top of the line windows computer to do this), I would only run harsh apps like that if I had an intel based computer that runs windows along side OS X and is OpenGL capable. I was wondering all of this, because if no intel based mac's are 100% open GL capable, I have no need to buy a intel based mac, and id just go out and buy a ibook.

4. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

I don't see why they wouldn't be OpenGL compatible. That's what the majority of games for the mac uses.. we have no DirectX after all.

Beyond that, most of the Mac glossiness uses OpenGL. Exposé, Dashboard, and the like.

http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/opengl/

5. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

What do you even mean by 100% OpenGL capable? The chips are the freaking same as on the PC side of the fence. Your question doesn't make any sense.

6. Eniregnat macrumors 68000

Eniregnat

It does if this guy remembers a time when OpenGl was not truly open or supported by most graphics chip sets. SGI (which filed for bankruptcy today) initiated the set of protocols, which as usually Microsoft ran away with. Microsoft developed the calls used for direct writing/actions for hardware, and SGI continued to develop software emulation so that in the end, everybody could have access to a single architecture for graphics, sans drivers.

So, I can see the confusion. The cards that Apple uses today are OpenGl compatible, though there is some debate as to weather the code written to interface with those cards is as streamlined as it could be.

7. Eric5h5 macrumors 68020

It's a moot question anyway...if OpenGL can't do something in hardware, it will do it in software. I believe that's part of the guidelines...you can't do a half-assed implementation of OpenGL. It's all or nothing. Every graphics card ever made is therefore "100% OpenGL capable," though doing everything in software would be slower, obviously. (On the other hand, I've used Blender on Linux with no 3D hardware support on a 600MHz G3, and it was mostly usable.)

--Eric