OpenGL Problem

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by voyagerd, Apr 10, 2003.

1. voyagerd macrumors 65816

voyagerd

Ok, really bad problem here with OpenGl, to simply put it, it's not working. This is a big problem since I'm a big gamer. All applications that use OpenGL have become considerably slower if working at all since this problem began. It began some time after 10.2.4 was released and I first noticed it in a flight-sim called X-Plane. It became so slow that you couldn't even quit it normally. I re-installed the game and it worked fine for awhile. No it seems to have spead. I even re-installed the game again and the whole system and still, OpenGL enabled games don't get the normal acceleration. I have a PowerMac G4 Quicksilver 733 MHz, 896 MB RAM, Mac OS X 10.2.5, and a GeForce2 MX graphics card. Do you think it might be the card? If it might be, I'm getting a new GeForce4 Ti sometime in the next month. What else could it be and how could I fix it? Thanks for the help!

2. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

If it's a problem with OpenGL then Quartz Extreme would also be having speed issues. Have you noticed anything with multiple overlapping windows and menus?

3. voyagerd thread starter macrumors 65816

voyagerd

umm... not really... just noticed it in games such as X-Plane(can't run), Warbirds III(can't run), Elte Force(a lot slower), and some others///

4. voyagerd thread starter macrumors 65816

voyagerd

I tried taking all of the preferences out of my Home folder to see if that was the problem. This was the only folder not replaced by the reinstallation of Mac OS X.. no effect...

Also, when I removed the card... the heat sync was very hot like it was working really hard.
    Maybe a transistor popped,
    causing more electrical resistance
    slowing down the whole GPU in intensive processes.

Like processors slow down when they get too hot.

5. alex_ant macrumors 68020

alex_ant

Processors don't slow down when they get too hot unless they have special throttle-down circuitry which I'm not aware of any graphics card having. Normally CPUs either lock up, shut off, or fry themselves (or some combination of those). If anything on the board "popped," there is basically a 100% chance that the board would completely stop working. I'm pretty sure it's software problem you have, unless something has happened to the heat sink or the fan on the graphics card. Check those, but I bet it's a software problem.

6. voyagerd thread starter macrumors 65816

voyagerd

Anybody know what else int the Home/Library folder might mess up 3D accelerated graphics? X-Plane says "No 3D card detected"

7. GeeYouEye macrumors 68000

GeeYouEye

get the GUI of F@H. If it shows up as white, it's an OpenGL problem. Otherwise the video card may be fried. Either way, start folding for team 3446 if you haven't already.

8. voyagerd thread starter macrumors 65816

voyagerd

:confused: :confused:

GUI of F@H?

start folding for team 3446 if you haven't already?

:confused: :confused:

9. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

He is talking about something else... there...

I think your video card might have some major problems, check if it even shows in the system profiler, if not I have a hunch.

10. voyagerd thread starter macrumors 65816

voyagerd

System Profiler says:

PCI:
    SLOT-1(AGP):

Card Type : display |
    Card Name : NVDA,NVMac |
    Card Model : GeForce2 MX |
    Vendor ID : 10de |
    Device ID : 110 |
    ROM# : 1057.019 |
    Revision : b2 |
    Card (Video) Memory : 32 MB

11. voyagerd thread starter macrumors 65816

voyagerd

I get a 3D model of the protein on Folding@Home.... but it rotates extremely slowely... not sure if this is right... sems to be whats happening in my othe 3D apps

EVERYTHING WORKS BUT AT ABOUT .1 FRAMES PER SECOND!!

Anybody know of any utility that would check you graphics card?

12. chewbaccapits macrumors 6502a

chewbaccapits

Ever since I upgrade to 10.2.5, I have probs with WOLFENSTEIN...I constanly get "connection interrupted" messages....It never happened in 10.2.4 only in 10.2.5 (instanly, I might add). Nothing else is running in the background...Nothing at all....Um, well, at least I think. Nothing is selected to run...reason ehy I say this is because it seems as if my computer is checking something, like mail or if someone was downloading from me (I have a server)...Its weird. Any ideas?

13. voyagerd thread starter macrumors 65816

voyagerd

chewbaccapits, I found that my internet really slowed down after installing 10.2.5. To fix it, I just unplugged my Airport and my cable modem and plugged them back in. Try something like that on your setup.

Now, back to the topic of the forum.:rolleyes:

Posting from my dad's PowerBook..:(

I tried something new. I restarted on OS 9 and opened TechTool Pro 3.09... I ran the VRAM diagnostic and after a lot of things, the display just stayed blank for awhile...So, I used the restart button on my PowerMac...Then as it restarted, I got the folder with the question mark on it. I restarted on the 10.2 install CD to try to repair it. Disk Utility couldn't repair it. Now I have the PowerMac on FireWire targget disk hooked up to the Powerbook. I'm repairing the HD with Drive 10 right now. Really slow. Fortunately, I might get my Geforce4 Ti on Friday...:)

WHY ARE ALL THE BOOKS IN SOPHOMORE ENGLISH SO DEPRESSING?!?!? THEY'RE ALL AABOUT PEOPLE KILLING THEIR BEST FRIENDS AND/OR COMMITITNG SUICIDE!!!

Duffman can't breath! OH, NO!

14. voyagerd thread starter macrumors 65816

voyagerd

When I leave Drive 10 to repair for a long time and then come back, usually overnight, it's not repairing any more... meh...

15. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

This seems more and more unrelated to anything, so I'd say that it's the battery, especially with it having trouble finding system software.

If you haven't reset PRAM, I would do that first. You could also reset the Open Firmware.

16. voyagerd thread starter macrumors 65816

voyagerd

I reset the PRAM and reset the Open Firmware. Then I tried to do fsck, I held down Apple+S to get into the single user boot screen. But then I just got the flashing folder with the Mac symbol / Question mark. Meh. can't even get into that. Going back to Drive 10 to try to repair it.

17. voyagerd thread starter macrumors 65816

voyagerd

When I try to use Disk Utility to repair the PowerMac HD over FireWire, I keep getting three errors:

Missing thread record (id = 891880)

Invalid volume file count
    (It should be 383847 instead of 383884)

Invalid volume file count
    (It should be 383884 instead of 383847)

It tries to repair the volume and says repairs completed but the errors keep showing up. Back to Drive 10...:rolleyes:

18. voyagerd thread starter macrumors 65816

voyagerd

This is what I get in Drive 10:

Volume Structure
    Failed (Error = -60)
    Drive 10 can scan volumes for problems related to the numerous structures that are necessary for the volumes to operate correctly. If problems are found, Drive 10 can attempt to repair the damage to help reduce the chance of future problems.

If Drive 10 has discovered problems with the volume structure of a volume, allow the program to repair the problem. Quite often these issues are minor, but sometimes they can be indicative of a more serious problem. If the problem persists, consider backing up the device, reformatting the media, replacing the data, and then testing again.

19. voyagerd thread starter macrumors 65816

voyagerd

Anyone know what Drive 10 is doing when it says it's "Working..."..."Task 5 of 6"??:confused:

It has been doing this for an awfully long time...
    I started the repair last night at about 9.

No smart ass replies please...

20. Catfish_Man macrumors 68030

Catfish_Man

Re: OpenGL Problem - Now with more complications!

Try reinstalling the 10.2.5 combo update.

21. voyagerd thread starter macrumors 65816

voyagerd

22. voyagerd thread starter macrumors 65816

voyagerd

Ok, Drive 10 fixed the problems... Let's hope it boots now...

23. voyagerd thread starter macrumors 65816

voyagerd

meh

I had to reinstall the system. The graphics still seem really slow on some 2D things and those games still don't work right.

24. voyagerd thread starter macrumors 65816

voyagerd

25. voyagerd thread starter macrumors 65816

voyagerd

I found something that might be the problem. During single-user boot it said:
    Couldn't alloc class "NVDANV10HAL"
    before it got to the place where you could type. This is the extension NVDANV10Hal.kext. It's an nVidia extension so it could be causing the problems that I have been having. Anybody know what this means or what I can do to fix it?

Thanks,
    Eric

E-mail: voyagerd@hotmail.com
    AIM/iChat: startrekdove