Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fukui

macrumors 68000
Jul 19, 2002
NVDANV10Hal.kext
Thats the Nvidia NV10 Hardware Abstraction Layer kernel extention.

Couldn't alloc class "NVDANV10HAL"
It means that it cant initialize a class in that perticular kernel extention, in other words, it seems the driver is encountering something it shouldn't and cant allocate memory to load the extention. You should try replacing your Video Card, the problem will likely go away...

I had a similar problem with the GF2 card in my cube: I took it to a client to do some website work at thier office, I used thier VGA monitor (before I only used my ADC apple monitor) but there was no image when using the VGA port! So I took out the card, and found out when they made it, they forgot to solder the connetion on the VGA connector! I was like "damn! thats stupid!" so I soldered it up and it workd fine ever since...the point is, if your card is under warranty its probably thier fault. So it should be replaced.

P.S Are you getting this error only in 10.2.5 or also after you reinstall?
I can attach my same NVDANV10HAL.kext file and you can replace it with that one if you wanna try...

voyagerd

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 30, 2002
Rancho Cordova, CA
I'm not sure if it had that message in 10.2.4, but I had the same problem then, after i upgraded to 10.2.5, and then after I reinstalled the system.

I've used the video card on both VGA and ADC as well. I'm using ADC currently.

Fukui

macrumors 68000
Jul 19, 2002
Did you completely erase the system or just install over it? I would recommend to format your HD with disk utility and copletely "zero" your disk, and then install again (zeroing it will completely overwrite everything on your disk with zeros), if the problem still is there, then your card is probly fried...you can get a ATI 9000 for like $160 if its any consolation...sorry...

voyagerd

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 30, 2002
Rancho Cordova, CA
I did the archive and install. This puts the whole system into another folder and then completely writes all the system, library, and user files over again. I'm not sure why zeroing it would help if the files are al new.

Fukui

macrumors 68000
Jul 19, 2002
Yea, sometimes, atleast for me, it has helped after I had my system messed up (like when the disk repair programs messed up my HD)...well, it sounds like a hardware prob anyway..good luck :)

voyagerd

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 30, 2002
Rancho Cordova, CA
I might get tro try our a Geforce4 Ti 4600 today. I get to keep it fofree if it's not broken. I really hope that the guy didn't send the wrong one again. :rolleyes:

voyagerd

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 30, 2002
Rancho Cordova, CA
Ok, really tired of ths problem, (I was getting tired of my GeForce2 MX anyway). I just bought a GeForce 4 Ti 4600 on eBay. Thanks for all you guy's help and support.

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Originally posted by voyagerd
I found something that might be the problem. During single-user boot it said:
Couldn't alloc class "NVDANV10HAL"
before it got to the place where you could type. This is the extension NVDANV10Hal.kext. It's an nVidia extension so it could be causing the problems that I have been having. Anybody know what this means or what I can do to fix it?

Thanks,
Eric

E-mail: voyagerd@hotmail.com
AIM/iChat: startrekdove

I don't have your problem but as far as I know every mac with 10.2 shows that Nvidia error. Mine does but I don't have any problems and it always has even with 10.2 and all the later updates.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.