Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eclipse82

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 15, 2008
Hi there,

I have been playing around with the iPhone SDK for a few months now and have made a few simple apps and have a good understanding of cocoa programming. I am now trying to make a new app for a friend of mine and it needs to display a 3D graph of some data. Obviously this can't be done in Quartz2D/CG so I'm going to venture into the world of OpenGL ES. I have a little OpenGL experience so i am not worried about that, but what i am having a problem getting an answer to is this.

Can i have a UIView inside of a UIWindow, that does not cover the entire screen, and draw inside it using OpenGL whilst having normal UIKit controls on the rest of the window?

For example, i would like something that looks like the Stocks App with data at the top and a graph at the bottom, only the graph would have to be drawn using OpenGL in it's own UIView.

Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated :)

Chris

EDIT:

Nevermind, i've figured out how to do this using the standard OpenGL ES Template in XCode. If anyone wants to know how i did it let me know and i will post.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.