Opening a CRT

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Hummer, Apr 27, 2006.

1. Hummer macrumors 65816

Hummer

Well I was playing around with a piece of junk iMac G3. I was just harvesting everything that could be used again like the hd and cd rom drive. While it was open I said what the hell and opened all of it up taking off everything exposing the CRT. I was wondering if this was dangerous? I was on wikipedia.org and it showed all the health hazards and stuff of a CRT monitor. It wasn't on while I had it open, but I was wondering if that metal piece was put there to keep me the consumer from getting in there because of the dangers.

2. Laser47 macrumors 6502a

Laser47

THe metal piece your talking about was probably an RF shield. It is very dangerous to open up a crt because there is a capacitor which holds the thousands of volts required for the tube to start up. Since you already opened it up I would advise you to be especially aware of the suction cup looking thing attached to the tube and its wire, and where the wire goes. This is the high voltage part of the monitor. To safely work with CRT's you must discharge it, guides can be found on google. BE CAREFUL it can KILL YOU.

3. Hummer thread starter macrumors 65816

Hummer

Well I found that out... After I opened it. I could have nearly killed myself. Well since none of those factors killed me. On the general components are there anything I should worry about that could be a health hazard? Like down the road? Or am I okay. BTW I threw it away because I wasn't going to bother putting the piece of junk back together.

4. dornoforpyros macrumors 68040

dornoforpyros

5. Hummer thread starter macrumors 65816

Hummer

It's wayy too late for that. I just made this thread to see how much danger I was in. I had no idea it could be so dangerous until someone linked me to wikipedia about my LCD monitor and I was bored and clicked on the link to go to CRT's. Then I saw the health risks. I found out that the screen contains a coating of phosophor. Now where on an imac is that? is it right under the part I can touch with my bare hands?

6. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

No, if you weren't jolted by the flyback transformer, you'll be fine. :eek: