Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

samsungolympiclogo.png
Olympic athletes are being asked by Samsung to cover any Apple logos on their devices during the Parade of Nations at the 2014 Winter Olympics opening ceremony because Samsung is a lead worldwide sponsor of the Games.

The report, from a Swiss site (via SlashGear) [Translate], does not go into much detail on the request, but reports it as a condition of Samsung's sponsorship. From SlashGear:
Olympics sponsor Samsung is reportedly dropping Galaxy Note 3 smartphones in athletes' goodie-bags, though the gift comes with a catch: a supposed ban on any other device branding, iPhone or otherwise, during the opening ceremony.
Olympic athletes are controversially banned from mentioning any non-sponsor products during their time at the Olympics, including on social media and clothing.

All accredited competitors, coaches, trainers and officials are required to abide by Rule 40 of the Olympic Charter, preventing athletes from mentioning any non-Olympic sponsor companies. Athletes breaking Rule 40 can be punished with "removal of accreditation and financial penalties" or even total disqualification. The IOC has said on numerous occasions that protecting sponsors is of paramount importance because, without them, there could be no Games.

It's not entirely clear if this "Rule 40" was used as the reason for the ban on competitor logos. MacRumors has reached out to the United States Olympic Committee, the International Olympic Committee, and Samsung for comment but has yet to receive any response.

Update: The International Olympic Committee has said that athletes are free to use iPhones without restriction during the Opening Ceremony.

Article Link: Olympic Athletes Requested to Cover Apple Logos During Opening Ceremony Because of Samsung Sponsorship [Updated]

tdiaz

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2006
Talk about sour grapes BS.

The Whole Olympics needs to be reworked. From top to bottom. Inside and out.

It's got more bloat than new PC.

avanpelt

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
That's the most asinine request I've heard in a while. Why doesn't Samsung just give all the athletes Samsung devices to use during the ceremony if they're so concerned about it?

EDIT: I see the quote in the article now that they're dropping Note 3 handsets into the goodie bags. Well, I guess they'll be able to say the shipped a few more units of the Note 3 this quarter than they would have otherwise. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

dlowings

macrumors member
Jan 23, 2011
wow... censorship at its finest... Steve Jobs was wrong.... It "IS" the 1984 that we thought it would be ....

It's here....

There is no turning back .

NotAdvisable

macrumors regular
Nov 16, 2011
Perth, Australia
It's great that Samsung are supporting the games, but this is just another blanket attempt on attacking Apple. Actually really disgusted.
Samsung should be better than this.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
I can't imagine that people using iPhones and iPads would go without using them. Do they actually think that the athletes will put some kind of case or sticker to cover the logo? It's not like you still wouldn't be able to tell what they are if they get showed on TV.

aloshka

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2009
Wow. Feels like high school. Why is samsung so insecure if their devices rock so much.

JonneyGee

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2011
Nashville, TN
That's the most asinine request I've heard in a while. Why doesn't Samsung just give all the athletes Samsung devices to use during the ceremony if they're so concerned about it?

Sounds like that's exactly what they're doing. They're probably afraid people will still use their Apple devices instead of free Samsung crap.

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
They could kill two birds with one stone and just force participants to put Samsung stickers all over their electronics.

J6JxEIL.png

There… perfectly inconspicuous…

Last edited:

mathcolo

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2008
Boston
This is foolish—I'm a loyal Android user, but nevertheless still bummed that the platform is polluted with this nonsense :( Samsung needs to go away.

ryansimmons323

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2011
United Kingdom
There were loads of iPhones and iPads being held up during the London Opening Ceremony. Many of the athletes walking into the stadium in the flag bearer parade were holding up devices with the Apple logo in clear view of the cameras. I seem to remember saying that the London Opening Ceremony was better promotion for Apple than Samsung, although Apple hadn't paid a penny in sponsorship.

Somewhat unrelated, but a NeXTcube also took centre stage with the Sir Tim Berners-Lee section.

jkichline

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2010
Guess I'm not watching the Olympics then

This is utter crap. I've already decided to never buy a Samsung product. Now I can't watch the Olympics. No Samsung, there is this thing called freedom and you can just pound your "rules" up your arse.

Frizers

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2013
I remember around London 2012 an independent bakery being threatened with thousands of £s in fines if they didn't remove their window display of 5 doughnut in the shape of the Olympic logo... I can understand the sponsors wanting to protect their rights but it does seem a bit crazy/draconian when you hear things like this....

Illusion986

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2009
I understand Samsung wanting athletes not to flash apple and other logos as they are spending loads of money for advertisement and sponsorship....But disqualification? seriously? People are forgetting what olympic games are suppose to be about...very sad

Any one wants to buy my 1 year old samsung TV? anyone? :(

aerok

macrumors 65816
Oct 29, 2011
Wow guys, this is normal practice.

Something similar happened with the first Spiderman movie, where Sony wanted to hide Samsung's logo during the scene that happens in Time Square.

It is a very common practice and I can assure you that any other company would've done the same if they were the main sponsor, including Apple but then again, does Apple ever sponsor anything? Their fault, not Samsung's.

dlowings

macrumors member
Jan 23, 2011
Its so funny ! the athletes have to go without any sponsorship what so ever but samsung can sponsor the olympics.. USOC has really out done themselves ... I bet the steak dinners are mighty fine boys, might fine....

Society has completely lost it ..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.