Opening cinema display

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mudder45, Dec 1, 2005.

1. mudder45 macrumors newbie

Dec 1, 2005
    So guys how do I open the 23" aluminum cinema display? I don't understand how to take the aluminum enclosure off. I need to replace the LCD panel.
  2. Marky_Mark macrumors 6502a

Sep 30, 2005
    Step 1 - think of the bucks you spent on this man!

Step 2 - take it to the magic man who fixes stuff

Step 3 - give the magic man who fixes stuff some money

Step 4 - ....and relax

Rather you than me! ;)

EDIT - I'm not really being's just these things cost a helluva lot and I'm sorry I can't help with some objective advice - I might be wrong but I seem to remember from somewhere that these things are glued, so take some care in however you tackle it. Good luck.
  3. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Apr 3, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    Yeah, these displays are pretty much entirely no-touchy components. This isn't a DIY job, sorry. :eek:
  4. Laser47 macrumors 6502a

Jan 8, 2004
    What happened to it anyway to make you need to replace the display.
  5. Megatron macrumors regular

Nov 19, 2005
    How much does it usually cost to work on one of those displays? I would think they would probably charge some way too high price.

What if it's just something simple like something relating to the power, needing to solder a simple fuse or something? You could probably do that at home as long as you are electrically inclined.
  6. iGary Guest

May 26, 2004
    Randy's House
  7. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Sep 3, 2004
    London, UK
    Either way, you open up that box and you void your warranty. I wouldn't mess with that...
  8. jamesW135 macrumors 6502a

Apr 30, 2005
    Replacing the LCD will probably cost more than buying a new ACD alltogether.
  9. adk macrumors 68000

Nov 11, 2005
    Stuck in the middle with you
    I remember somwhere somebody reviewed the 20" ACD and when they opened it they cracked the white side pieces.
  10. TLRedhawke macrumors 6502

Sep 17, 2004
    To actually give a bit of advice, it matters as to whether we're talking about an Aluminum (Aluminium) Cinema Display, or the old Plastic ones. The plastic ones aren't actually that difficult to get into, except for a bit of glue here and there. The aluminum ones are intended to be a little tricky.

Certainly, if you take it to an Apple Authorized Service Provider, the job will get done properly. If you insist on doing it yourself, try and get a copy of the Apple Service Manual. The PDFs for these aren't all that hard to track down, especially considering that they're not "confidential documents" per se. Apple restricts who can download them from the site, but doesn't restrict passing them on.
  11. mikes63737 macrumors 65816

Jul 26, 2005
    I don't think that that's such a good idea. That'll definately void your warranty.