Opening Day!

Discussion in 'Community' started by Sayhey, Apr 5, 2004.

1. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

OK, I know they played some games in Japan and Boston played a game against Baltimore yesterday, but for most of us today is Baseball's opening day. I can't think of a better day to celebrate. Anyway, I posted my picks for the season over at the Daily Kos and I thought a thread should be started here - so these are my fearless predictions.

NL West - San Francisco (nobody else is good enough in a weak division.)

NL Central - Houston (great pitching improvements will help an already strong offense.)

NL East - Philadelphia (How did they steal Billy Wagner?)

Wild Card - Florida (Even without IRod they are very good)

AL West - Anaheim (Vladie!)

AL Central - Kansas City (The little engine that could)

AL East - Boston (The addition of Schilling makes the difference)

Wild Card - New York (amazing offense but not enough Pitching)

NL Champion - Philadelphia

AL Champion - Boston

World Series winner - Philadelphia

What do you think?

2. Awimoway macrumors 65816

NL West - San Francisco (still a quality team)

NL Central - Chicago (assuming Prior gets better soon)

NL East - Philadelphia (nice roster)

Wild Card - Houston (they'll be good, but Chicago's better)

AL West - Seattle (my homer pick; the talent is there to beat Anaheim, but when will they ever learn to stop slumping late in the season? It could be any year. Will it be this year? How do I know?)

AL Central - Chicago (what a boring division)

AL East - New York (Mussina and Brown will keep the pitching up, the offense is a freakin all star team)

Wild Card - Boston (Pedro's worsening, their offense can't outscore New York's)

NL Champion - Chicago

AL Champion - New York

World Series winner - Chicago (New York will choke again; if Torre's still managing, he won't after this year)

My favorite teams are both in the AL West—Seattle and Oakland. It's such a tough division. Oakland is overlooked yet manages to surprise every year. Seattle is talented, but so is Anaheim, of course. I know everyone likes the changes at Anaheim, but I have trouble believing that Vlad and Colon are sufficient to make such a huge difference from last year.

And the fact is that there will be some out-of-the-blue team like Anaheim in 2002 or Florida in 2003 that will surprise everyone and blow my picks out of the water. That could be a lot of teams left off this list.

But I know this much is true. It's going to be a very good year for baseball.

3. Krizoitz macrumors 6502a

Krizoitz

Baseball, who needs baseball, I can't wait for college football season to roll around again! :)

4. djbahdow01 macrumors 6502a

NL West - San Francisco (Bonds should catch The Babe)

NL Central - Chicago (Pitching is the way to win)

NL East - Philadelphia (Finally got a closer)

Wild Card - Miami (They have young pitching talent. Houston could do it too as they have experience)

AL West - Seattle (They will just put 2 and 2 together this year)

AL Central - KC (Its been too long and how can you not love Tony "The DJ" Pena)

AL East - Boston (They have the offense and pitching to beat)

Wild Card - New York (They have a solid team but the Red Sox seem that much stronger than last year)

NL Champion - Chicago

AL Champion - Boston

World Series winner - Boston in 7 (It will be the end of the world when this happens even if Chicago wins.)

Just hoping the Red Sox put everything together and Pedro pitches the way he always has. Schilling was the move of the year..

5. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

6. Awimoway macrumors 65816

If the World Series is Cubs-Red Sox, it will go seven games. In the seventh game, it will be tied and go into extra innings. One team will load up the bases. Their ace will come to the plate. And then the meteor will hit and extinguish life as we know it. :eek:

7. Krizoitz macrumors 6502a

Krizoitz

HAHAHAHAHA, that was great

8. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

Oh man, I have no confidence picking several of the divisions this year. I love the Mariners, but any one of three teams could win the AL West. Personally I don't think Vladimir G. is enough, as good as he is, to carry Anaheim - so the question is which version of Bartolo Colon shows up? The A's have some huge holes, but Billy Beane usually knows how to put a team together. They look vulnerable though. The M's are probably the most balanced and talented team; but given the average age, I could see some important pieces ending up on the 60-day DL. BTW I've gotta say I don't have a lot of confidence in Bavasi. A couple of his moves were okay, but thank goodness the trade for Little O fell through! What was he thinking? He seems to be a little too in love with "proven veterans", even if they're markedly over the hill.

AL Central... doesn't matter. Whoever wins it will get hammered in the playoffs. :p

The AL East is going to be nuts. The Yankees have so much power, but amazingly enough I wonder about their starting pitching. Boston... well if Pedro goes down they're in trouble. It'd be funny if Toronto snuck on through, and while it's not likely it's also not beyond possibility. BTW sorry Oriole fans, but you're in the wrong division to get anywhere in the near future.

I'm not going to pretend to call the NL West. It's just too balanced. I'm rooting for the Padres though.

NL Central - I worry about the Astros for the same reason I think the Yankees could get in trouble. They've got so much invested in two extremely talented but old pitchers. I'd like to see the Cards take it but they probably won't.

NL East - ANYBODY but Atlanta! Please! The Phillies seem to be the consensus pick, but before last season a lot of people picked them as well - and we saw how that turned out.

9. Toppa G's macrumors 6502

Go Milwaukee! The Brewers haven't been above .500 for two years - they're 1-0 now :) It would be cool to see the Brewers actually win something - not necessarily everything, but just something - even to finish the season over .500, which hasn't happened since 1992 :)

10. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

every time boston teams lose, the whole city sort of quietly mourns.
    when boston teams win, cars get overturned, people get run over, riots occur in and around the bars and stadiums.
    i almost wish boston teams dont win, unless their fans get their damn acts together...i prefer my car and myself intact.
    -c

11. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

we'll have to make sure to come back to this thread in Oct...

AL: east - Yankees, central - Twins, west - A's, wildcard - Red Sox
    NL: east - Phillies, central - Astros, west - Giants, wildcard - Cubs

ALDS: A's over Yankees, Red Sox over Twins
    ALCS: Red Sox over A's

NLDS: Phillies over Astros, Cubs over Giants
    NLCS: Phillies over Cubs

WS: Phillies over Red Sox in 6

Awards:
    AL: MVP - Eric Chavez, Cy - Javier Vazquez
    NL: MVP - Barry Bonds, Cy - Kerry Wood

Other teams in contention: Angels, Mariners, White Sox and Blue Jays. Braves, Cards and Padres.

12. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

well, you'd fit in perfectly at lansing, MI then. MSU fans will riot when MSU wins and also when MSU loses. :p

(sorry, had to say it, as an U of M alum.)

13. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

no no, i want to avoid rioting, does that mean i'd fit better at u of m?

(i actually applied to u of m once, i went through this phase where i desparately wanted a phd in philosophy...i was rightfully rejected, as my heart wasnt in it and i think it came through in the application, but the rejection letter came from James Joyce....it made the sting that much less painful.)

14. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

i know, i know, i was just joking. who wants to live in a rioting area? ;)

15. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

NL East. Phillies ( Good team, Just needs to get a good Manager now)

NL Central Cubs. ( While I think the pressure is alot to bear, Dusty will have the team focused.)

NL West. ( Lets go with the D-Backs. For no other reason that Bonds has no protection in the line-up, and this thing called BALCO)

NL. Wildcard: Braves. (Still not ready to give up everything yet)

AL East: Yankees. (I am biased and if there is pitcing problems George will get whoever he wants)

AL Central: Royals ( No mid season Fall out this year.)

AL West. Angels. ( Good Off season acquisitons)

AL Wildcard: A's ( Great Pitching, esp if Zito is healthy this year. Lack lust offense though.)

Not on the list: BoSox. Sorry guys, last year was a flash-in the pan. There is alot of pressure this year...and we all know how they perform under pressure. This years team will not score runs like last years. They got a top notch closer in Mr. Foulke but there is this guy named Rivera in NY who is a bit better.....and proven.

16. Awimoway macrumors 65816

Not a bad pick. Perhaps because of the influence of my closest friend being a rabid Dodger fan my own thinking is blurred on this, but I can't help but wonder if DePodesta will get things in order before the season is over and the Dodgers will surprise. They nearly made it to the postseason last year, despite their uninspiring offense.

I look at all the talent in the AL West and the AL East, and I know that at least one quality team is going to be shut out of the postseason, and I can't help but think that they need to go to a 2 wild card team configuration. Hey, the NFL just added another one, and they already had two or three per conference.

17. djbahdow01 macrumors 6502a

Foulke is a well proven pitcher, maybe not in the playoffs but he has been one of the most consistant closers in baseball. Come on he won fireman of the year last year or what ever its called. He is a great closer just need to get to the 9th in order for him to actually make the save tho. Pitching will keep the Red Sox in contention as long as they stay healthy.

18. applemacdude macrumors 68040

applemacdude

I think youre on crack...Go A's

19. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

gotta respond... he he.

i'd say red sox is a little worse, but still very, very good. they won't score as many runs, but i think adding schilling is absolutely huge. he will eat innings like no other pitchers out there and keep the team in the game. that means less wear on the bullpen and he will also serve as a very good stopper, should the sox fall into a losing streak.

also, rivera being better than foulke (mostly true) is kind if irrelevant, no? yankees have had rivera. red sox didn't but now has foulke - so you can't deny that red sox got better in that respect.

20. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

TEG's Picks...

NL West - Colorado
    NL Central - Chicago
    NL East - Atlanta
    Wild Card - Huston

AL West - Seattle
    AL Central - Minnesota
    AL East - Boston
    Wild Card - Toronto

NL Champion - Chicago
    AL Champion - Seattle

World Series winner - Seattle

TEG

21. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

based on some of these predictions, i apparently do ;-)

22. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

WOOHOO!! Let's hear it for generalizations! :D

I think that if the Bruins or Celtics won their respective championships, it wouldn't be anything like the Pats winning the Super Bowl, or the Sox winning the AL. However, if the Sox won the Series, well, all hell would break loose.

Oh, and the guy driving the VW Bus that got flipped was asking for it, almost literally. You should know better than to provoke drunk, college-age Sox fans gathering near Fenway by saying stuff such as "Sox suck" etc.

23. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

okay, my picks
    NL guys: Don't really care, but Cubs in there somewhere.
    AL West: Seattle
    AL Central: don't really care that much either.
    AL East/Wildcard: Sox and Yankees/Blue Jays

Although, losing 7-0 to the freakin' TIGERS might be a sign of something :p

24. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

with the win, tigers are above 0.500 for the first time since april, 2001... :p

but there are numerous benefits to living near detroit... for example, my friend who's from boston wanted to go see red sox play at detroit. he kept on insisting getting tickets in advance - and paying ticketmaster fees - while i insisted that we'd be fine buying on the day of the game. sure enough, there were so many empty seats that we went up to the ticket counter and was able to pick and choose which seats we wanted - 30 min. before the game time.

good stuff, eh? ;)

i, for one, will be frequenting the comerica park this year to go see ichiro, a's "big three" and red sox... eh, i mean tigers, yeah, that's right, tigers. :D

25. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

Foulke is decent at best. He's not the best closer in the AL.... He wasn't even the best closer in California for crying out loud.