Opening .dwg files

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mcgarry, Feb 16, 2006.

1. mcgarry macrumors 6502a

Oct 19, 2004
    I have searched the forums (and versiontracker) for this, and found mostly discussions about creating and using .dwg files. I just want to be able to open them. Is there any simple or free way to do this, or convert them to something else just to look at them? AutoDESK makes a free .dwg viewer, but it is Windows-only.

Specifically, someone wants to send me a file created by AutoCAD. I don't need to be able to do anything to it, just look at it and maybe print it. I have asked him to kindly send me a screenshot, but it'd be great if I could just look at it.

Am I out of luck? This is the first time in as long as I can remember that I haven't been able to do something I wanted on my Mac!
  2. tag macrumors 6502a

Apr 29, 2005
    PA, US
    Well doing a quick google search I found 2 apps that seem to do what your looking for. The first one Microspot DWG Viewer seems pretty good but it costs nearly $50, though there is a demo available. Second one I found was eDrawings MAC Viewer which is free. I perosonally haven't tried either but maybe one of those would work for you.
  3. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

May 18, 2004
    Solidworks offers a free viewer that they say will let you view autocad drawings, they have a Mac verzsion you can download, havent tried it myself so maybe you can report back if it works for you

another way would be to get the file sent to you as a pdf file

edit; opps beat to the post
  4. mcgarry thread starter macrumors 6502a

Oct 19, 2004
    thanks guys. I must be slipping in my old age, for not finding those myself!