Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

moogle301

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 29, 2009
I use the 'open enclosing folder' function a lot. I can't seem to find a keyboard shortcut for it, on windows I think it was something and enter, and I think in itunes or some apps it is too.. I did some googling and it said cmd+up but that doesn't seem to work :S I'm trying it from the alt version of spotlight search... what is odd it that cmd+down does open the file like the similar keyboard shortcut is supposed to. I don't think I have anything else set to this..

Another thing, on windows when you sort files and folders you drag them to the left and use a somewhat fiddly folder system to stuff move to the right folder, I can't work out how to do that on mac. I have to temporarily make whichever folder I'm moving to a shortcut folder on the left (where all the folders would be on windows) and then remove it once its gone.. Am I doing a stupid way or is there another way? the only thing I can think of is columns which is confusing and esp hard to use to sort images which don't have descriptive filenames.

thankies

moogle301

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 29, 2009
Also, are any keyboard shortcuts possible from the simple spotlight search? it doesn't seem like it =[
half the times when I do a search I actually want to open the folder it's in, which means doing a alt spotlight search which isn't as good at narrowing down stuff so always takes longer, then the keyboard shortcut for opening the enclosed folder is greyed out as a 'go' option and have to do it the mousey way! not the end of the world but not good =[

PigeonCake

macrumors newbie
Sep 3, 2008
[cmd + R] will open the enclosing folder of a file selected in Finder…

I’ve just found out that if you highlight the search result in Spotlight, but don’t click it, and then press [cmd + R] then that also opens the enclosing folder without first having to bring up the search finder window...:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.