Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JstGrind

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 17, 2012
Hi all,

I am happy to say that I am a new IMac owner. I have run into an issue that I am hoping to find a solution for.

I purchased the numbers APP the other day and immidiatly fell in love with the simplicity of the program.

I am trying to send an numbers saved file over to a friend but, he has a PC and is using Excel, I know that Iwork would let you convert and send but Iwork is no longer in service.

My question for the Mac Veteran; Can I send over a numbers document to a PC user so that he can open in Excel? If so, how?

I appreciate your help and hope to contribute to the site once I gain more knowledge!

Thanks, :confused:

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
Hi all,

I am happy to say that I am a new IMac owner. I have run into an issue that I am hoping to find a solution for.

I purchased the numbers APP the other day and immidiatly fell in love with the simplicity of the program.

I am trying to send an numbers saved file over to a friend but, he has a PC and is using Excel, I know that Iwork would let you convert and send but Iwork is no longer in service.

My question for the Mac Veteran; Can I send over a numbers document to a PC user so that he can open in Excel? If so, how?

I appreciate your help and hope to contribute to the site once I gain more knowledge!

Thanks, :confused:

I don't have Numbers installed but in Keynote you can click File > Export and then choose a format like powerpoint or pdf. So I assume it's the same for Numbers.

By the way you would have been better off posting this in the Mac Applications and Mac App Store forum.

Oh and congratulations on your new iMac! If I ever have any extra money lying around I definitely want one of those but for now my MBA will have to do.

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
In Numbers, select File then Export. Select Excel file format. Attach the resulting file to an email.

James_C

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2002
Bristol, UK
Just to warn you the design of Numbers with the ability to have multiple tables on one page, is very different to Excel. The layout of anything but the simplest single table numbers spreadsheets is pretty much lost when you export to Excel. I would not recommend converting to Excel. If they just need to read the file, use export to pdf.

If they really need to work on the file you send them, then you should get Office for Mac, which includes the Mac version of Excel.

JstGrind

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 17, 2012
Thank you!

Thank you, All. I appreciate the help. I just exported to word and it worked out just fine. I couldn't be happier with my new IMAC, should have switched over a long time ago.

Thanks, again!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.