Opening PK3 File ???

Discussion in 'Games' started by hardon, Nov 4, 2003.

1. hardon macrumors regular

is it possible on a mac yet, without the use of Virtual PC etc ??

cheers guys:confused:

2. ScottDodson macrumors 6502

ScottDodson

Yep you sure can. Just drag the pk3 into stuffit expander, and it will decompress it (since pk3's are just zips). Also to put it back into the neat little pk3 package, just drop the folder with all the files into dropzip and rename the extension to .pk3.

You doing some modding/mapping??

3. hardon thread starter macrumors regular

i sure am, thanx for that your a diamond.

rtcw by the way.

thnx

4. ScottDodson macrumors 6502

ScottDodson

RTCW really..nice :D

I did a few skin packs for wolf, and did some stuff for custom maps etc. Lemme know if you ever need some help with any of that junk...I know my way around ;)

You should stop by my rtcw teams website....Here....or our customs website Here....stop by and say hello :D
    (I'm Doc{+} btw)

5. hardon thread starter macrumors regular

thanx for your help Scott, i eventually made a small sound mod for rtcw using the method that you gave me, only problem is that i cant get the damn thing to work?

the mod consists of a folder called sounds, within this folder are 3 more, .. weapons , working, and world. all have the appropriate Wav files within, this is all zipped up and renamed blabla.pk3

the result on unpure servers is zilch and on my own test server zilch?

is this a Mac zip problem or have i mucked up please advise, many thanx:confused:

6. ScottDodson macrumors 6502

ScottDodson

Sorry I didn't get back to you as quick as you hoped....but was away for the weekend. Ok, well with your delema, I really don't know what could be wrong (you have all correct folders in place). If you would feel comfortable, you could email me the pk3 and I could look at it...cause I really have no idea where you are going wrong. Private message me if you are comfortable with sending me the file (I will not distribute it).

7. hardon thread starter macrumors regular

will do thanx for your reply :)

ill do it aftew work

8. Shekky_ca macrumors newbie

actually when zipping a .pk3 file don't drag the folder you stuck all your files in on dropzip open up dropzip and hold shift then click on the folders you stuck your folders into, that have your sounds/textures in to zip otherwise Quake 3 or Whatever game is using the Q3 Game engine doesn't recognize the folder you stuck all your files in.

I've been opening up .pk3 files and replacing sounds and textures and stuff for years.

9. manuel macrumors newbie

about your post on opening .pk3 on mac...

Hi, I found your post where you asked how to open .pk3 on mac...
    Thanks to you cause now I know how to do it too. Now since I'm on mac too, and try to learn how to make maps (for RTCW) on a mac, maybe you could help, you make maps too, don't you? What applications are used to do them.
    Also I don't really get the difference between Mods and Maps... well, as you see, I'm the perfect newby...
    Thanks for any kind of help!

Manuel

10. snickelfritz macrumors 65816

snickelfritz

Download gtkRadiant for Quake3 engine level design.
    Pakrat is another very helpful utility for mappers and modders.

For assitance in learning how to use Radiant etc...go to map-center.com and check out the BBS.
    Paul Jaquays (he designed some of the retail maps that shipped with Quake3) was hangin' out there for a while, and there are a lot of veteran Quake3 level designers there.

You can also find good mapping and modding discussions at quake3world.com

11. ScottDodson macrumors 6502

ScottDodson

Yeah basically what he said :D

But to further your quest also check into tram design forums....tons of helpful people there, and a great resource for anything Q3.

Forums: Here (you must register)

12. manuel macrumors newbie

Thanks guys,

Today I was just thinking to search about Quake 3 for mapping on RTCW, since its the same engine, and now you give me the confirmation, everything comes right in time... Thanks for your answers, they told me there were nice folks here and at tramdesign too.
    If you have any suggestion about the very beginning of map creation, I'm very interested, and will anyway search my way too around those sites you both told me.

Thanks again and again.

Well now, lets go to work...

Manuel

13. manuel macrumors newbie

Hi guys, it doesn't seem that easy at all,
    I started another thread on this, called "RTCW : mapping on a mac, what tools?", it would be a better place for this issue.
    My problem is your gtkradiant doesn't work (apple download site) on OSX before panther, and I'm just on OSX 10.2.8, and about PakRat (thanks to Snickelfritz) it doesn't work really well at first sight, some windows open and close suddenly, wich should'nt be quite normal by my sense... (it's a beta).
    Did you do some map on mac, and then how did you do it? Nothing for OS 9.2.2? Did 3D mapping not exist for MacOs 9.2.2?
    I think I'll become a bit more clever after this research will be achieved... ;)

Waiting for more readings...

14. hardon thread starter macrumors regular

jeeez this thread has lead me astray ,...

now im addicted to RTCW , modding and and playing...

when the UK gets round to increasing my upload speed on my Cable modem (DL 2mb UL 256k) ill run my own server ... shrubbed and modded.

yes ill partition and run linux! for shrub.

in the mean time UK RTCW's in the UK well just have to play, unless you have any suggestions??

let me know thnx

Attached Files: