Opening Powerpoint

Discussion in 'macOS' started by zabelrose, Oct 14, 2006.

1. zabelrose macrumors newbie

I hope someone can help us. We have Microsoft Office installed, can use it and can open Powerpoint except when getting a Powerpoint from a college site, have been getting the message to Buy a program and could always click "Buy Later" and now the trial period must be over and cannot open from this particular professor. But I have Powerpoint installed in my computer, why won't it open up?
    Thank you

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

So you can open PPT directly, but when you try to open the .ppt file, it won't launch powerpoint? Try saving one of these files the prof sends you to the desktop. Then right click it (or ctrl click it) and choose Open With -> Other...

Then in the dialog that comes up, navigate to your copy of Powerpoint and make sure the always open with... button is checked.

Then see if this resolves the problem for future files.

3. Macnoviz macrumors 65816

Macnoviz

This will only apply to that particular file. A better way is to show info (or something like that) and specify the app to use there, and then there should be a button below to change all files of that type to open with that program

4. nadyne macrumors 6502a

Macs come with a 30-day free trial of Office:Mac. Did you uninstall that before you installed your copy of Office?

Regards,
    Nadyne.

--
    Nadyne Mielke | user experience researcher
    Microsoft Corporation | Macintosh Business Unit
    go ahead, mac my day

5. zabelrose thread starter macrumors newbie

30-day trial

Nadyne
    Thanks, I thought of that, but the strange thing is that all of the programs work including the powerpoint, except when trying to open it from this particular site from the college. Will re-check when she goes back to schhol
    Thanks

6. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

It doesn't matter, you clearly have the trial version in addition to the full version. You'll have to find the trial version and delete it.

7. nadyne macrumors 6502a

One possible reason that only files from this particular professor are causing this is that the prof is using a different file extension for his/her presentations. If you have the usual file extension (.ppt) mapped to your paid version of PowerPoint, and something else (.pps) mapped to the trial version, you might see this.

But that's only a guess as to why you'd be seeing this. But the reason that you're seeing it isn't really that important. What is important is that you've definitely got the trial version installed on your computer, and you need to remove it.

Regards,
    Nadyne.

--
    Nadyne Mielke | user experience researcher
    Microsoft Corporation | Macintosh Business Unit
    go ahead, mac my day

8. zabelrose thread starter macrumors newbie

Opening Powerpoint

I know this is a silly question, but we don't have the computer here right now...will we be able to tell when we go into the programs which one is the trial one so we know to delete that one? Also, with Macs, I only have to drag it to the trash, I don't have to uninstall it? I so appreciate all of your help.

9. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

How many times do we have to say it? You must use the uninstaller to remove the trial version of Office 2004. Now!

10. zabelrose thread starter macrumors newbie

I believe you only have to say it once. My question was not if I needed to get rid of it, but to clarify that on a mac you only need to delete, not uninstall? I hope you're not a teacher.

11. the Western zoo macrumors 6502

the Western zoo

yes you can tell... properly there will be some sort of "this is trial..." bla bla bla when you start the software - otherwise you can chose about in the app menu to check the version...

I don't think you have to some some special uninstall?? (I might be wrong about that of cause) I seem to remember that when I "uninstalled" the trial version of office on my MacBook I just dragged it into the trash...

12. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

You are not helping. You have to use the included uninstaller. That's why it's there.

13. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Yeah, this is an issue specific to MS Office... if you have already trashed the Office Trial folder, so you don't have the Office Trial uninstaller, I think the uninstaller that is in the actual purchased Office 2004, when run, should give you an option to uninstall both Office 2004 and Office 2004 Trial. And then once you've done this, you can install Office 2004 again and you should be back in business....

14. the Western zoo macrumors 6502

the Western zoo

sorry!! didn't mean to cause confusion! that's why I put in that I didn't quite remember... but I would think that if someone saw an unistaller they would use it right away... but that just my way of thinking....! SORRY! :confused: