"Opening Printer Connection Failed"

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by MACDRIVE, Dec 6, 2006.

1. MACDRIVE macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

Attached Files:

2. MACDRIVE thread starter macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

C'mon, somebody must know something about this. :confused:

Actually, I know there's plenty of you out there who do, it's just that no one browses the Peripherals Forum very much. :(

3. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

New, old printer? Did it used to work? Do you have a spare USB cable to try? Printer and Mac restarted to clear any weirdness?

4. MACDRIVE thread starter macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

Attached Files:

5. arogge macrumors 65816

arogge

Did you get a fix for this problem? It seems that one of the recent OS X updates broke my printer software. When I try to print anything from OS X now, the Print Manager returns the same error:

"Opening Printer Connection Failed: Unable to open the printer connection. Please check your printer connection and check for printer errors."

What doesn't make sense is that the Mac can see the printer, but HP's software says that the device is busy. What's frustrating is that the software doesn't give the dump of the error, so I can't determine if the HP software has been corrupted or if there's something wrong with OS X. Of course, HP doesn't have any updated drivers for my old printer, so I maybe I'm supposed to buy a new printer.

6. gsahli macrumors 6502a

gsahli

Not absolutely sure this will help (you may need to reinstall OS X) -
    Download the Combo Updater from Apple and re-Update.

PS - basic rule of troubleshooting - always first check and fix whatever you most recently changed. The Update/Installer is the weakest link in OS X because of the large number of files that get replaced.

HTH

7. jdmurphy macrumors newbie

I have the same problem.
    Had worked wired and remote.
    I have uninstalled everything and reinstalled with no luck.
    What is odd is mac sees the printer and i have no problem printing anything else non PDF.
    Went home and tried it on my HP printer, no luck as well.
    I have windows vista using boot camp on a mac book pro, no problems.
    Any help would be great.
    Thanks

I took a pdf file that was on a usb drive and it printed from there fine on the mac, still no clue

8. arogge macrumors 65816

arogge

It looks like we're going to keep dredging up this old problem. I put up with it until just a few months ago, when the combination of these incessant errors and bad print quality convinced me to buy a new printer, and HP wasn't being considered.

I picked up an Epson, and the driver problem went away. I also reduced my cost of ownership in other ways. My cost of ink went down, and I got faster and quieter printing with very nice print quality. Not surprisingly, these printer drivers were some of the only ones on the market that weren't locked to OS X 10.4.11 or 10.5. Epson actually bothered to make drivers that don't rely on Apple's OS update bandwagon. They have been working quite well, and they offer much more control over the print output.

9. Jockeyeba macrumors newbie

"opening printer connection failed"

This is really a question-I just read all the threads & have tried all the suggestions except for a new USB cable but the printer had been working fine until I "Safe Booted" my computer this morning when it froze up. When I tried to print something my printer had disappeared, so I finally got it back on but nothing will print now. What am I doing wrong? I tried all the steps that HP said to try & none of them helped. Help!!

10. arogge macrumors 65816

arogge

My suggestion is to buy a new printer that isn't from HP or anybody else that doesn't make good drivers. I'd guess that "Safe Booting" (whatever that means - sounds like a Microsoft feature) disabled or deleted the printer drivers or its configuration preferences that OS X uses. You could try uninstalling and reinstalling the printer software from its CD-ROM, which also sounds like a Microsoft Windows fix-it suggestion.

11. Jockeyeba macrumors newbie

opening printer connection failed

SafeBooting activates a series of measures designed to return the computer to good health. I tried the uninstalling and reinstalling-no go. I bought a new USB cord and plugged that in, didn't help anything. I guess my next move is to call Apple and get them to figure it out for me since I have an extended warranty.

12. arogge macrumors 65816

arogge

Apple Support's likely response will be to tell you that non-Apple products aren't supported under the warranty and to call HP if you want help. That's what happened to me when I had a conflict between OS X and non-Apple hardware. It's like dealing with Microsoft after you buy an OEM computer with Windows preinstalled.