Opening Split Zip Archives

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by umijin, Jan 4, 2007.

1. umijin macrumors newbie

Jan 10, 2006
    My brother sent me a three part zip archive he made using WinZip on his Windoze computer. It was over half a gigabyte, so we thought it might be better to split it into three chunks.

I was able to download all portions via PANDO, but can't find an application which handles split Zip archives on the Mac. Or at least I can't find one that works with this archive. It seems that Stuffit Deluxe or Standard might do the trick, but I'm not gonna spend $50 just for this situation.

Any suggestions would be welcome.
  2. Veldek macrumors 68000

Mar 29, 2003
    I think Stuffit Expander might work and it's free. I'm not 100% sure though as I only used it with a splitted RAR archive yet, but if that works, ZIP should too...
  3. umijin thread starter macrumors newbie

Jan 10, 2006
    Stuffit Expander did NOT work. Sorry - I should have stated that.
  4. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mar 10, 2004
    Bergen, Norway
    #4 (the built-in 'unarchiver', which at least works with regular zips) didn't work either...? :confused:
  5. umijin thread starter macrumors newbie

Jan 10, 2006
    Nope. Double clicking on the file opened that and it failed.
  6. theBB macrumors 68020

Jan 3, 2006
    If you are not afraid of using Terminal, go to the folder that has your three zip files and try to concatenate them into one large file using the command "cat". Then try to just click on the large file you have created via Finder, which should unzip it through its built-in utilities.
  7. M@lew macrumors 68000

Nov 18, 2006
    Melbourne, Australia