Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ajp

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 28, 2002
UK
Does anyone know if I can use a "Winmail.DAT" file. It is a small spreadsheet previously used with Excel on a PC. Although I have Microsoft Office 2004 (and therefore Excel!) on my Mac, I can't figure out how to open it. Should it be possible?

Thanks.

TheT

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2002
Germany
ajp said:
Does anyone know if I can use a "Winmail.DAT" file. It is a small spreadsheet previously used with Excel on a PC. Although I have Microsoft Office 2004 (and therefore Excel!) on my Mac, I can't figure out how to open it. Should it be possible?

Thanks.

Forum Search is your friend!

But since I'm in a good mood today...

Download this!

al3000

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2005
England
I am having a problem with this, I have a winmail.dat file, and have opened it using TNEF's Enough. TNEF shows it as "untitled attachment" (with no file extension). When I open it in word or any program, it simply says

This attachment is a MAPI 1.0 embedded message and is not supported by this mail system.

Does anyone know what I can do? Thanks

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
That doesn't seem to be large enough to include an actual Excel spreadsheet.

The recommended utility has always worked for me, when I have to deal with Windows users who insist on sending MIME attachments. You could ask the sender to turn off MIME encoding. It's not necessary anyway.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.