Opening WordPerfect Files

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by stump, Sep 12, 2004.

1. stump macrumors newbie

I am so happy I have switched recently to the Mac, I just love it! However, most all my word processing files are in WordPerfect 11 format and Word 2004 won't open them.

Can anyone suggest a solution or product to use to do this? I can convert in Windows using WP but that would be very time consuming every time I want use a file for editing.

I have heard about MacLink Plus but have no experience or idea how it works, I see though it is expensive.

The only frustration in my perfect new Mac world!

2. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says...MacLink works very well, but yes it is a bit expensive...depending on the formatting in the documents, you may be able to open them in...Wordperfect! After Corel stopped making a Mac version they made the last version "free" - it does not run natively in OS X but should run in Classic...as I said, it may not recognize all the latest formatting but it is free so maybe worth a shot....there are download links here ....oh yeah!

3. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

thank you thank you thank you for posting this! My ancient WP Mac floppies haven't aged well, and I really missed this product's magical ability to cure corrupted WinWord files the Word itself could no longer open.

4. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

If you got an iMac, eMac, or iBook -- use AppleWorks, it has a MacLinkPlus widget hidden in one of it's folders for those pesky WordPerfect files.

Can't use it outside of AppleWorks, but the plug-in means you can open the files.

If you got a pro-level machine, you can buy one of the programs MacLinkPlus/AppleWorks -- but somebody might know of shareware conversion program.

5. TheMac19 macrumors regular

TheMac19

wordperfect files in AppleWorks, is it true?

Is it true that Appleworks can open wordperfect files? Boy I hope so, i'll give it a show later tonight or tommorrow on a friend's ibook.

I'm in a similar situation to above. I bought a nice new 15" powerbook to replace my PII 266 pc - quite a jump to say the least! I love the new pb, but I haven't been able to open any of my old wordperfect files from my pc. I'm not sure what version of wordperfect they were created in, but I think it was 6 or so...

Anyway, I did get and download the "final" mac wordperfect for free from corel, but still can't open any of my .wpd files. When I run wordperfect in Classic, the files do not appear in the folder, even with show all items ticked. Alas, even trying to click on the document and then use wordperfect to open it doesn't work - wordperfect is dim in the "open with" box. I know wordperfect has specific converters, but they seem useless to me...

Anyone have success with the final version of wordperfect recognising older pc files? Or any success with appleworks? (Speaking of which, why don't we get appleworks for free when we buy a $3000 powerbook, yet it's free with a basic ibook. c'mon apple, help a brother out!...)

thanks in advance for any help!
    Cheers,
    -tommy

6. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Corel WordPerfect 3.5e opens older WP files just fine. There is a Corel filter available that will allow it to open WP8 files. Newer files will open, but may have formating issues.