OpenOffice

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Paul Wright, Jan 15, 2007.

1. Paul Wright macrumors regular

Paul Wright

Hey does anyone here use OpenOffice :) i use it as i cant be bothered to fork out for a desktop publishing suite when i can get this for free, mind i do use Microsoft office on my PC, i was just wondering if anyone esle uses it? :)

www.OpenOffice.org

if you want to try it out :)

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Loads of mac users use NeoOffice - it is exactly the same but does not have the annoying X11 pane (it is made for aqua - the mac look thing). OpenOffice is great on Windows/Linux. If you're on a mac get NeoOffice instead...

3. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

yea it really is a sweet program for those who dont have the money to spend on office

4. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

NeoOffice

www.neooffice.org is better. Its basically a native version of openoffice and doesnt require you to have X11 installed.

edit. damn everyone decided to answer at the same time ;)

5. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

but i also think that neooffice lags about about an update behind openoffice. or has that changed?

6. Paul Wright thread starter macrumors regular

Paul Wright

Thanks :) yeah i thought the x11 was a pain but seemed easy to install dang i might just uninstall openoffice and go for neooffice, meh maybe jsut keep both :) :cool:

7. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

You can keep X11 for other apps like GIMP (a photoshop alternative, which would be amazing if aquafied...)

8. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

I'm not sure, but there are constant updates. X11 is just such a pain...

9. iKwick7 macrumors 65816

iKwick7

Agreed. Neooffice user checking in!

10. Paul Wright thread starter macrumors regular

Paul Wright

yeah, i got pretty hacked off with it, now im used to it, but i prefer using my PC for desktop publishing, 13.32 screen isnt too good when writing essays :)

11. Paul Wright thread starter macrumors regular

Paul Wright

once youve downloaded NeoOffice do you always have to go back to there website for patches ?

12. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Try using NeoOffice, it only takes a minute to install, you can get rid of X11 even if you have got used to it. It is a real tribute to open source success, but I'm thinking that Office08 may blow it out of the water...

13. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

I got annoyed with the X11 thing as well.

I use NeoOffice and Office for Mac.

14. Paul Wright thread starter macrumors regular

Paul Wright

downloading onto my PC now :) waiting for my macboko to come bk from repair and i will install it get rid of x11 unless i find a use for it :)

15. stcanard macrumors 65816

stcanard

Its usually on a minor update behind, so the lag is so small you likely won't notice -- its feature complete that way.

Since the move to 2.0 they've really improved on this. The caveat is that it is even more of a memory hog than OOo (hard to believe I know!). Running with 2GB RAM its nice to use, when I had 512MB it was unusable. Where the sweet spot is, I don't know.

16. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

I think Gimpshop does not use x11

whoops...it does gimpshop just has more photoshop like layout. sorry

17. Paul Wright thread starter macrumors regular

Paul Wright

do u have to download the patches urself from noeoffice website or not?

18. stcanard macrumors 65816

stcanard

Its completely self-contained, download is here.

You get a dmg with an installer package, just like with MS Office, so there's not patching / compiling / hacking, my dad can do it! (and has)

It also has update checks on start, and will notify you when there is a patch available -- patch is just another dmg / installer package.

Considering the project is basically two people, it is a really amazing acheivment.

19. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Nope.

20. Epicurus macrumors 6502

Epicurus

Fun for the whole family

I switched my mom over to NeoOffice when she got her new MacBook, and I don't think she's missed MS Office even once. If we can get OpenOffice.org to go Cocoa on its own, with more official recognition of the Mac, all the better.

21. Paul Wright thread starter macrumors regular

Paul Wright

:) I have many friends who own MS Office for mac, meh its basically a rip off, at the start i was called cheap for not buying it and getting free apps, meh im like a couple of hundred pounds/dollars/euros better off and they wish they got
    openoffice instead of forking out tht amount of money :) I dont really see the point of buying a desktop publisher when u can get a free one :) yey :cool: everyone becomes happy :)

And your mom prooves that MS Office is a rip off :)

22. Paul Wright thread starter macrumors regular

Paul Wright

I agree and theve saved loads of peolpe a couple of hundred dollars each :)

w00t!

23. benthewraith macrumors 68040

benthewraith

My main issue with both NeoOffice and the current release of OOo is that you can't go directly to the thing you want to use. You have to open the program and then go and get a spreadsheet etc. whereas with MS Office you don't. Just a minor annoyance. I mostly use Pages and Keynote though...

24. audiored macrumors member

I got a new macbook earlier this week and fretted over the decision of whether to download openoffice of neooffice. Picked neooffice in the end just beause it was native and didn't have to bother with x11.

i'm glad i did. It is a very impressive opensource project.

Someone mentioned it was a memory hog. I haven't found that to be true at all. I have 1gig ram.

25. Pete M macrumors newbie

I've been happily using StarOffice/OpenOffice for the last 7 years on a Jokedows box, and 3 years on a Panther/G4 mac. Work uses Ms Office 2003, so it's great to have that compatibility when I work at home.

The X-11 version of OO 2.0.3 is definitely slower on my G4 than the Xubuntu offering that runs on my G3 B&W. I'll therefore give NeoOffice a go and see what it's like to go native!

Open Office is an excellent office suite offering about 80-85% the functionality of MS Office. OO does not support VBA Macros or VB script in Excel, so if this is important to you, follow Sun's advice and use MS Office instead.

Unfortunately most of the corporate world is frightened of alternatives to Jokedows/Office as "OpenSource" is still wrongly viewed as "experimental". Pity because the cost savings of migrating to OpenOffice/NeoOffice are tremendous.