iPhone OpenSHH, am I safe without it?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by johndope83, Nov 16, 2012.

1. macrumors newbie

Mar 27, 2011
    Ei guys! I've finally jailbroke my iphone a few days ago!:D Best decision I have ever made!!!! I never get why apple put so many limitations to their iDevices! SBSettings is a life saver! Best tweak/app ever!

Anyway, enough of my babbling. I've read around the net about phonehacking thru SHH because of not changing this default password (alpine??) on our iDevices. The paranoid that I am :p just want to ask if I don't install OpenSHH am I safe from this? Trying to google my way to find the answer but I can't get a straight one.

So am I safe if I don't install OpenSHH? I don't want to mess around with my iPhone that much... not that tech savvy! Hehehe!!!

Hope you can help me out! Thanks! KCCO!!!
  2. macrumors 604

Jun 9, 2009
    Mich near Detroit
    The smart thing is to change the password or don't use it if your not going to change it. I would never keep alpine but at the end of the day what you do is up to you, it's your risk not mine. here is a tutorial http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=5883
  3. thread starter macrumors newbie

Mar 27, 2011
    thanks for the link labman! So basically if i don't install it and use it I am safe right?
  4. macrumors 603

Jun 7, 2011
    You can safely install it, provided

1, you do change the root password AND

2, you use SBSettings to quickly disable it when you don't need it.
  5. macrumors 6502

Dec 16, 2011
    New York
    change your password in mobileterminal or use ifile on the device itself or use
    iexplorer on your computer for a wired connection
  6. macrumors 68000

Jan 1, 2009
    You are not answering OP's question. Of cause there's way to safely install SSH but OP doesn't use it.

OP: You are safe as long as you don't install it. IF you were to install in then it's highly recommended to change the password.