Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

johndope83

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 27, 2011
Ei guys! I've finally jailbroke my iphone a few days ago!:D Best decision I have ever made!!!! I never get why apple put so many limitations to their iDevices! SBSettings is a life saver! Best tweak/app ever!

Anyway, enough of my babbling. I've read around the net about phonehacking thru SHH because of not changing this default password (alpine??) on our iDevices. The paranoid that I am :p just want to ask if I don't install OpenSHH am I safe from this? Trying to google my way to find the answer but I can't get a straight one.

So am I safe if I don't install OpenSHH? I don't want to mess around with my iPhone that much... not that tech savvy! Hehehe!!!

Hope you can help me out! Thanks! KCCO!!!

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
thanks for the link labman! So basically if i don't install it and use it I am safe right?

You can safely install it, provided

1, you do change the root password AND

2, you use SBSettings to quickly disable it when you don't need it.

glsillygili

macrumors 6502
Dec 16, 2011
New York
change your password in mobileterminal or use ifile on the device itself or use
iexplorer on your computer for a wired connection

gngan

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2009
MacWorld
You can safely install it, provided

1, you do change the root password AND

2, you use SBSettings to quickly disable it when you don't need it.

You are not answering OP's question. Of cause there's way to safely install SSH but OP doesn't use it.

OP: You are safe as long as you don't install it. IF you were to install in then it's highly recommended to change the password.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.