Opera 8.02 Technical Preview w/BT client

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by dubbz, Jul 6, 2005.

1. dubbz macrumors 68020

dubbz

There's technical preview out for Opera 8.02 with a built-in BitTorrent client. Haven't tried it myself yet (will in a few moments), but supposedly its intergrated so that downloading a torrent is just like a normal download.

Next up: The Kitchen Sink

Saw this on Slashdot.

Get it here:
    ftp://ftp.opera.com/pub/opera/mac/802tp/en

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Wow...I guess this means the BitTorrent community and the Opera community are closely related enough to warrant such an inclusion. I must wonder if any of the other browser makers (Netscape, Mozilla, Apple, Microsoft, The Omni Group, etc.) will follow Opera's lead - if they did, BitTorrent's legal side would get a HUGE boost - which I think is a good thing (even though I don't use BitTorrent), mostly because P2P technology, used in the way BitTorrent uses it, saves on bandwidth costs.

3. dubbz thread starter macrumors 68020

dubbz

It will certainly make BT even more credible, having the support of another commercial company (small as it may be)..

There's already a Firefox/Mozilla extension in development. Don't have a link, but check out the Slashdot link and it will be mentioned somewhere in the comments.

Also, just tried the torrent part:

- Clicked on .torrent link
    - A message pops up warning you that some upload bandwidth will be used (this message can be disabled).
    - Download is added to the normal Download window. The only difference is that instead of only the Download Speed, there's also a Upload Speed listed.

Very seamless.

4. Makosuke macrumors 603

Man, now that's some good news. It's basically the first app that takes Bittorrent from the realm of something you have to be aware of and interested enough in to download a client into the "just click, and it downloads" era. It won't obviate more full-featured clients for people downloading bigger files or seeding, but it is the perfect solution for granny to grab a file--"Opera and Firefox users, just click here; IE users must first download..."

In a way, this is a small milestone of a move to a less centeralized Internet. Neato.