Opera 9.01 released for Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by AnthonyKinyon, Aug 2, 2006.

1. AnthonyKinyon macrumors regular

Apr 4, 2006

Release Notes
    Opera 9.01 is a recommended upgrade.

Changes Since Opera 9.0
    User interface
    Solved problems with error console popping up unrequested. Console Filter setting in opera.ini has been renamed to Error Console Filter.
    Newsfeeds can be renamed again.
    Right-click to save images no longer puts the file in the list of transfers.
    Fixed problems with setting external source viewer path. Preference field no longer requires quotation marks if containing spaces.
    Solved issue where Opera would get focus, but elements would not be activated when clicked while Opera was in background.
    Search field now shows dropdown when using the down arrow key.
    Using search from right-click menu remembers the last search engine used.
    "Find" and "Find next" options no longer grayed out in source viewer "Edit" menu.
    Typed-in history now disabled and cleared with visited history in preferences.
    Mail, messaging, and newsfeeds
    Multiple IMAP backend improvements and bug fixes.
    Improved speed in handling filters with large number of messages.
    Fixed problem with recognition of uuencoded attachments.
    Changed quoting colors in mail for improved readability/accessibility.
    Display and scripting
    Solved letter-spacing issue in form fields when using zoom.
    Fixed problem with some Chinese sites where clicking any link would trigger language-switching script.
    Fixes to contenteditable support.
    Fixed scripting issue causing embedded content not to appear.
    META refresh works with javascript: URIs again.
    Allow forms to be submitted if the default value of their inputs exceeds their own maxlength.
    Solved problems logging on to the Internet banking services of Volksbank Raiffeisenbank.
    XSLT: Added support for exls:node-set function.
    Plug-ins and Java
    Allow Flash from other domain to access script in page; fixes problems with sites where Flash pop-ups cannot be closed.
    Fixed problems with direct embedding of URLs using the MMS and RTSP protocols causing some Web radios and media players to fail.
    Fixed bug where Java Applet did not load when width and height set to 0.
    Fixed problem where some Flash pages would not prompt users missing Flash to install.
    Multiple stability improvements. Fixes include issue described in this Opera advisory.
    Solved refresh problem causing some frames pages to turn blank.
    HTTP accept language now stated correctly, works with Hotmail and other localized Web services again.
    Fixed automatic saving of cookies.
    Solved upload problems with Imageshack and similar services.
    Improved compatibility with Adobe Type Manager and better handling of large quantities of installed fonts.
    Mac-specific changes
    Dragging the config.xml file into Opera now correctly opens the widget.
    Improved window focus behavior.
    "Help" button in master password dialog no longer exits kiosk mode.

2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

Staff Member

Jan 20, 2005
    You're just all over the browser updates today, aren't you? ;)

Please don't use TinyURLs...we know the site itself is fine, but it's not immediately apparent what site the link redirects to. The length of the URL is irrelevant when you format things like you did...there's no need to shorten it.
  3. AnthonyKinyon thread starter macrumors regular

Apr 4, 2006
    Now that's how you talk to someone

Fair enough and I appreciate your use of manners, thank you! I'll try to not use TinyURL so much (its a habit <grin>) :)

Yes I am all over the browser updates. :) Thx!
  4. jsw Moderator emeritus

Mar 16, 2004
    Andover, MA
    Agreed. No TinyURL links, please. I'll remove the ones I find. The [url=http://your.link.here]text[/url] format works fine.

Edit: TinyURL is a great site. There's just no use for it here and no way to tell where the link's going before clicking on it.
  5. AnthonyKinyon thread starter macrumors regular

Apr 4, 2006

OK, I agree not to use TinyURL links but if I once or twice in the future do it accidentally, please don't terminate me etc. or flame me (I'll try not to but I use their free service constantly to send links to friends/family, etc.)

You have my word though I'll make my best effort to remember not to use it here. Sorry all and thanks.

6. yojitani macrumors 68000

Apr 28, 2005
    An octopus's garden
    i'm curious who uses opera. i've been using it as my main browser for the last week (ish) and I have to say that I'm not mightily impressed. The RSS reader is annoying. you go to a page with all of the titles, you click the title which takes you to a summary with a link, then you click the link opening 3! tabs in the process.
    And the tabs, at least with the skin i'm using (not sure about the others), it's not always clear which Tab is actually in use. the number of times I've closed the window I was using!!
    Also, i've found that on my machine, opera does not run certain java commands very well.
    I do like the widgets though! There's a lot of potential in browser widgets, i'd say. If only there were a way to get some of them to function within the browser window rather than having them 'float.'
    To win me over, a browser needs to have a customizable search menu. Firefox is great for that. Opera needs improvement.
    The only other thing I noticed is that compared to when I used Opera a few years ago when they used the 'fastest browser in the world' selling point, opera has slowed down considerably...

Still haven't found the perfect browser...
  7. thestaton macrumors 6502

Jan 19, 2006
    I tried the new opera for 48 hours and came running not walking back to firefox. it is very customizable and the ad blocking feature is pretty neat, however why on earth would I have to click on every add when adblock will do it for me?

adblock has spoiled me from using any other browser.
  8. clevin macrumors G3

Aug 6, 2006
    i found opera for mac very slow, slower than all other browsers, camino, webkit, firefox. dont exactly know how this is happening.
  9. simon-says macrumors regular

May 24, 2005
    Shreveport, LA
    I'm a huge supporter of Opera. Been using it for 3-4 years now. My browser of choice will always remain Opera. Nothing beats it to me. I normally run the weekly builds http://my.opera.com/desktopteam/blog/
  10. Fevida macrumors newbie

Aug 6, 2006
    I'm using Opera on my windows machine for years now, but on my mac it's Safari because of the OSX intergration (.Mac bookmarks).
  11. d wade macrumors 65816

d wade

Jun 27, 2006
    Boca Raton, FL
    you can import your safari bookmarks to any browser you wish