Opera buried in Photoshop Elements

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by blodwyn, May 20, 2005.

1. blodwyn macrumors 65816

I was clicking down the Services menu today, and noticed there were a couple of entries for Opera. Now I know I've never installed Opera, and initially thought a trial version came with my iMac. I browsed for it with Spotlight and could not find it - curious! I browsed around with Finder and could not find it anywhere.

So I highlighted a URL and clicked the "Open URL with Opera" service menu item, and Opera opened up, so it was definitely on my system somewhere - but where. After a bit more looking around I right clicked the Opera icon in the dock and selected "Show in Finder" and there it was....

/Applications/Adobe Photoshope Elements 3/Photoshop Elements 3.app/Contents/MacOSClassic

What the heck is a version of Opera doing in the PS Elements 3 package, in a MacOSClassic folder, and do you think I could safely remove it to get it out of the Services menu?

2. gekko513 macrumors 603

gekko513

Adobe uses Opera as it's web page renderer for web stuff. Don't remove it unless you want to risk to break some Photoshop features.

3. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

If you've installed Macromedia applications, you should have Opera installed by default also.

4. DXoverDY macrumors 6502a

Opera freakin rocks man. I dropped FireFox for Opera about a month ago and I don't see myself going back. It's much better on memory usage than ANYTHING i have ever used before and definitely reacts faster to me doing things, much more responsive. I did buy it for $20 (edu price). But the best part is they have no limits on the number of computers you can use it on in your house, and they gave me licenses for multiple platforms and a couple different versions too. well worth the money.

5. blodwyn thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks for your replies, the rendering makes sense. I wondered if it was anything to do with the registration process or update checking. I haven't tried Opera before - maybe I'll check it out.

6. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

I believe it's a somewhat neutered version of Opera, and it's used for rendering the help pages.

7. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

The only thing that used to drive me crazy about this was that as a result of these hidden opera installs, in Panther, I had two copies of Opera listed in the Open With.... menu of any HTML file.... :rolleyes: One was from PSE and I forget where the other one came from.... I'm glad that, thus far, they have yet to make an appearance in Tiger. :)

8. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

Aargh, the power of suggestion - I just decided to try Opera again, after reading this thread. :D I like that the ads are less obtrusive than before. Didn't take me long to find some CSS shortcomings though. It seems to ignore opacity, at least for text; and it had some trouble with z-index.

9. DXoverDY macrumors 6502a

go talk on the forums. if they are valid they will probably fix it with the next release.. like 8.01 or something. give it a try. may just be the code you're using but it very well could be a bug. Opera has very good CSS though which is why i wonder. go look on the forums they'll point ya in the correct direction one way or another though. Opera rocks, i love the MDI based tabs and the sheer responsiveness of it.

10. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

No, I'm sorry but historically their CSS support has not been particularly good - I've been following it since pre-6 (back when I was still primarilly using Linux, and IE-only web development was a real problem). They've lagged Gecko/Mozilla significantly, and frankly didn't appear to pay that much attention to CSS until version 7. When I've filed CSS bugs with them in the past, I must say was quite impressed with the responsiveness of the developers - they were very upfront about their shortcomings in that area, and had said they were working to improve the situation. Also, I know in the past two years they've made at least one significant hire specifically to address this problem. But really their CSS support has not been all that good until very recently.