Opera Mini Reaches One Million Downloads, Tops Charts Around the World

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Apr 15, 2010.

1. macrumors bot

Apr 12, 2001

Opera today announced that its Opera Mini browser for the iPhone and iPod touch, released just days ago, has already surpassed one million downloads and is the #1 downloaded free app in all 22 of Apple's featured country App Stores.
    Opera Mini was submitted to Apple late last month, and some observers had questioned whether the company would approve it for inclusion in the App Store, given its direct competition with Apple's mobile Safari browser that comes pre-installed on all iPhones and iPod touches. Apple has in the past denied applications for "duplicating" the functionality of core iPhone OS applications, although the company appears to have backtracked somewhat on its consideration of that criteria in recent months in the face of criticism over its appearance of limiting competition.

Article Link: Opera Mini Reaches One Million Downloads, Tops Charts Around the World
  2. macrumors newbie

May 24, 2003
  3. macrumors 6502a

Jul 23, 2008
    I think probably 990,000 of those people will use Opera once, see how ugly it looks compared to Safari, and never use it again.
  4. macrumors regular

Oct 9, 2009
    Too bad the first version of the app is crappity-crappity.

Zoom is clunky, pages render horribly, and more and more websites have dynamic content; the concept is intriguing but it only targets a handful of websites.
  5. macrumors regular

Mar 21, 2006
    Hopefully they update it quickly. As it is, it doesn't follow a lot of iPhone UI conventions, which makes it very awkward to use.
  6. macrumors G4

Small White Car

Aug 29, 2006
    Washington DC
    Yeah, it's just curiousity. (I tried it.)

It's really only useful for people with only EDGE who can't get 3G or Wifi. How big is that market?
  7. macrumors member

Feb 27, 2008
    Sure, the app sucks, but it (hopefully) sends the message to Apple that people are hungry for CHOICE!

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if Apple only decided to approve it because it's not as good as Safari...
  8. macrumors newbie

Apr 15, 2010
    Mostly bad...

Haha, yeah. The only time I would ever use this is if I had a bar or two on edge connection. Overall the experience is pretty bad. It's definitely a lot faster as they say. But it butchers almost every website, a lot of generic mobile sites are received as opposed to iphone specific mobile sites (e.g. mlb.com), and the zooming and most features are kinda awkward.

I like that you can search a page for text which I don't believe safari can do. And I like the tab management better than safari's. Even the "start page" or whatever is kind of nice. So some UI aspects that I wouldn't mind Apple taking a look at and improving upon for safari, but I'll still be using safari 99% of the time still.
  9. macrumors 604

Mar 29, 2008
    Agreed. Hopefully they'll develop a good version next time, or not bother at all. I can truly see Apple approving Opera just BECAUSE it sucks so much. I was back using Safari in under 30 seconds.
  10. macrumors newbie

Apr 15, 2010
    I bet you're right.
  11. macrumors newbie

Mar 24, 2010
    Hugely insecure. Don't use it.

My hope is that everyone knows and remembers that this is not actually a browser and is completely insecure. It should never be used for any web site that uses https. In other words if you need to login you should never use this app. It is way to easy for someone to get ahold of your username and password for your bank, facebook, or other sites and then steal your identity. If you were to use this for purchases your would also be vulnerable.

NEVER suggest this app to someone who is not extremely tech savy.

Most companies security protocols would ban the existence of this app on their devices or personal devices that interact with their services.

The way this app works with https sites is that the server does the encryption/decryption so that the server/source of the site 'thinks' it is actually working with an actual browser that you are using. All it would take is one dishonest person with access to Opera's servers and everyone using this is in serious trouble.

Another way this app could endanger you is if someone one the network you are using is sniffing packets. They would be able to grab all of the personal information sent by users of the app.

By the way, this is not new information. Opera themselves are the source.

I say again, DON'T use this app.
  12. macrumors 6502a

Apr 9, 2003

Okay so after 3 days I deleted Opera. Wish things went better.... hopefully some future update of Opera running native on the ipad will change my mind.
  13. macrumors 6502

Jul 10, 2008
    I agree. No big deal that :apple: approved it. Opera is not near as good as Safari. Yes, I downloaded it. I used it a few times and promptly deleted it.
  14. macrumors member

Aug 27, 2009

Downloaded and tested. Only two zoom levels, none of them is very readable. The slight speed improvement is not worth it, Safari is much better on readability. Will delete the Opera app.
  15. macrumors 6502a

Jul 23, 2008
    Is there even one person here that will use Opera fulltime instead of Safari?
  16. macrumors newbie

Apr 14, 2010
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Didn´t even last 24 hours on my iPhone

Downloaded it, try it several times on both 3G and Wifi. Not very good, brings rememberance of awful Nokia browsers... Deleted again from my iPhone.... I guess Apple approved it, precisely because it was crappy.

Safari Rules..!
  17. macrumors member

Feb 27, 2008
    I won't be using it full-time but I'm definitely keeping it installed for those frequent occasions when I need to search within a webpage. It's also great for accessing websites that automatically route you to a mobile version of the site, since many pages don't seem to detect it as a mobile browser. The built-in RSS reader is a bonus as well, as is the ability to save an offline copy of a webpage.

Really, the only thing it doesn't do better than Safari is actually rendering the website, which is what make it awful since...you know...it's a web browser.

So I'm certainly keeping it and it'll have its uses, but I'm hoping Opera is watching for feedback and will be updating soon.
  18. macrumors 603

Aug 2, 2002
    Cork, Ireland.
    It's quite a bit faster than Safari for me, but the zoom & page rendering issues mean I'll probably use Safari still.

If Opera fix those, I'll switch in a second.
  19. macrumors 6502

Apr 3, 2008
    Probably people who can not get a 3G connection. Its noticably faster on Edge but I cant tell the difference on 3G.
  20. macrumors newbie

Jan 19, 2009
    I was hopeful that Opera would work well - but they must not have tested it that much. Just visiting macrumors.com proved to be an aggrevating experience. Trying to visit CNN, whitehouse.gov, and a few other sites showed massive formatting problems - as if the site didn't recognize Opera as a mobile browser...I hope they fix it soon.
  21. macrumors 6502a

Apr 25, 2008
  22. macrumors 6502a

Sep 23, 2007
    A dalliance for the merely curious... like the iPad amirite?
  23. macrumors member

Feb 25, 2007
    Way faster for me over 3G network than Safari with my 3G iphone. But it's not very intuitive to those familiar with iphone convention and has been frustrating to use.
  24. macrumors 601

Jun 27, 2007
    Central U.S.
    Arn, I fixed the headline for you:

25. macrumors 65816

Oct 1, 2003
    Having choices is good, I'd love to see what a Chrome mini would turn out like :) speaking of Google products, I'm hoping Google Voice App will come back soon (maybe with iPhone OS 4) so we can have more VOIP options too.