Opera or Firefox?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by damooster, Jan 7, 2007.

1. damooster macrumors newbie

I am looking for a browser to replace Safari (I just don't like it).

I know Firefox is a great browser but I like Opera better. My question is, is Opera as safe as Firefox is?

Thanks.

2. PYR0M310N macrumors 6502a

PYR0M310N

well i don't know about security as your asking, but i have never had any problems with it. plus you can get firefox extensions which are the greatest things ever.

3. Queso macrumors G4

How about Firefox offshoot Camino? Go for one of the nightly developer builds of 1.1. They're stable enough for everyday use and have a lot of extra features.

4. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Camino is not an offshot of Firefox. They are both Gecko-based browsers, but Camino predates Firefox IIRC. Camino, unlike Firefox, is a binary-native MacOS X application. Firefox uses a runtime interpreter instead of compiled-code.

There is simply no issue of security among Safari, Camino, Firefox, and Opera. Neither is there an issue of stability, particularily if you are not using a daily. Opera and Safari are essentially on a par with standards-compliance with the Gecko browsers following closely.

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Agreed...if you like Opera better, use it. I'm not sure how good Opera's ad blocking options are, and I personally can't stand it :D but if you like it, you're far from "unsafe" using it. :)

From the description, though, the Opera 9 content blocker seems pretty nice.

I have an Opera registration code that I got when they were giving away that I'd be willing to give / transfer to you (not pirate ... e.g. I don't actively use it anymore), if that's legal, and you don't already own an Opera license.

6. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

opera is at least as safe as firefox, if not safer,

7. abbottpc.com macrumors member

I use Firefox on a daily basis. I like the fact that you are able to customize the browser with extensions. Opera should be just as safe a Firefox.

8. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Opera is as safe or safer than Firefox 2.0, as version 9.1 has anti-phishing technology from PhishTank included, though you have to enable it.

Firefox has an extension from PhishTank available.

I haven't seen too many problems with Opera but Firefox has a few bugs that can cause issues, though many have been recently fixed by version 2.0.0.1.

9. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

Firefox 2.0 has google's anti-phishing tool built-in, I don't suggest users to install another anti-phishing extension.

10. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Reviewers have suggested it, since the PhishTank extension caught 100 % of the phishing sites versus the inbuilt anti-phishing missing over 20 % of them.

11. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

huh? link plz

12. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

oh, i found it
    http://www.mozilla.org/security/phishing-test.html
    well, i would point out:
    1. phishitank's list have "false positives", so firefox's 80% blocking rate isn't a bad number
    2. most checking and blocking in firefox's buildin function can be done locally, such that it avoid the internet checking process.
    3. extension is always there.

13. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

80 % is good and it was better than IE 7, but it only takes one bad link to give away your checking account or credit card information. I'd rather play it safe with false positives than be a little adventurous and end up with an empty bank account.

14. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

I guess thats a good attitude. :p

15. jasko macrumors 6502

jasko

I've been using Opera for a few weeks now and am really pleased with it thus far. I think I'll stick with it.

16. simon-says macrumors regular

Opera is free now. Has been since September 2005. I've soley used Opera since 2002, and love it. I hate Firefox, it's horrible IMO. In terms of security Opera is more secure than Firefox. But use what you like.

17. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

interesing i just read something on slashdot saying opera hides its security hole in the release note, :)

18. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Ahhh, I hadn't realized that! Thanks.

19. ero87 macrumors 65816

ero87

wow! a newbie asks "which browser do you prefer?" and no one flips out and says "do a search before you post!!!!!"

maybe MR is finally becoming more civil and welcoming :)

20. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I usually type "there are 30+ threads on this" which is true. We must get 2 new threads every month. It is important for people to search but I've not seen anything on Opera vs. Firefox in 4+ years on MacRumors. :p

21. applemacdude macrumors 68040

applemacdude

22. Lixivial macrumors 6502a

Lixivial

Since neither Firefox nor Opera support certain OS X functionalities (services being the main one), I usually use Safari with SafariStand. However, my preferred cross-platform browser is Opera. After Firefox 1.5's bugginess I decided it was time to jump ship.

To me, Opera is the Apple of the browser market. They usually do the legwork in terms of innovation. To each their own, though; as always, there's no need to evangelize either platform. (Not that anyone in this thread did that. It was a general statement.)

23. wyatt23 macrumors 6502a

wyatt23

i think it's cuz we all like to chat. plus for the most part, we're not a bunch of jerks like on some other forums i've experience with. if someone is just a n00b [see: southpark], and is asking a question that's been asked 30+ times... sometimes it's just easier to answer them and let them know how to search than to be inconsiderate and give them a "do a google search" [obviously i've seen linux forums! :cool: ]. not that finding information on your own is a bad/hard thing, it's not, but sometimes it's just more fun to see what people have to say, and sometimes people just like to say it again.

macrumors is by far my favorite forum i've ever been on. we have [for the most part] the most courteous users and moderators on the internet.

we should really have a macrumors forum praises thread. but from me to everyone, raise the roof on the illest forum! :p

oh yea! back to OP, i like firefox with the safari theme. throw a little forecastfox and facebook toolbars in there, and you are good to go.

i'm just waiting if/for camino to add extension support. then pow!

24. oober_freak macrumors regular

Opera needs a better UI, though. The current UI is horrible!

25. fblack macrumors 6502a

fblack

I use safari, but I'm leaning more & more towards camino. It doesn't seem to hog the cpu as long as safari does.

I heard that opera has had some issues with MS sites.