Opera Six for parents old power mac...

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by furryrabidbunny, Feb 1, 2006.

1. furryrabidbunny macrumors 6502

furryrabidbunny

I installed Opera Six on my parents old (beige) powermac so they could have tab browsing and better security than explorer. I was shocked though to see that version six is still ad supported (for those that dont' know, opera was recently made free)? Are there freely available registration codes since newer verisons are free and this is essentially an abandoned platform/program? I would email Opera, but that would cost me 29 bucks.

2. iEdd macrumors 68000

iEdd

Codes for that probably won't be given away and they aren't even on p2p networks. (Not that I checked... *cough* ;)). Could you try Netscape? It's better than explorer. What OS version is it running?

3. furryrabidbunny thread starter macrumors 6502

furryrabidbunny

Its os nine, and i've tried netscape, but it seems really bloated compared to opera or explorer. I figured I just ask, not really searching to get banned.

4. iEdd macrumors 68000

iEdd

Okay. Hey you won't get banned, you didn't suggest or ask for advice on anything illegal. Someone will hopefully suggest a some more os 9 browsers...

5. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

iCab is still updated for OS 8/9. Also, there are builds of older versions of Mozilla floating around. A Google search should turn them up.

EDIT: Here's a direct link to the last official OS 9 version of Mozilla (1.2.1). Other people built slightly later versions (1.3 or so) for OS 9, but your parents probably won't care.

6. furryrabidbunny thread starter macrumors 6502

furryrabidbunny

Well i created a profile on the opera forums and got a reply... apparently you can email the opera registration and they will help you out with it.

7. portent macrumors 6502a

I second the iCab suggestion. It's the only browser on OS 9 that's still supported by the vendor.

The WamCom 1.3.1 build of Mozilla is the absolute end of the line for OS 9. It has some bug fixes above and beyond the ordinary 1.3.1 build, so it might be a little more stable and secure than the other Mozilla builds. YMMV.
    http://wamcom.org/latest-131/