Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chhoda

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 25, 2008
I am exploring an option of making my mac mini portable with the help of my laptop. i am successful in using vnc viewer to connect to my mac mini. The way i did is i connected my laptop and mac mini with a ethernet cable. i noted down the ip and was able to connect.

i am experimenting this as, i want to carry my mac mini and laptop and work for a couple days when i am travelling, saving me to carry monitor which is impossible.

now the question is here i could see the ip because my mini was connected to a monitor. in the case when i power up with a monitor not connected, will the ip most likely stay same ? and will i be able to work ? I just want to be safe :)

regards

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
If you have an AirPort Express that you can take with you, you can have a "portable" network and use screen sharing to operate the headless mini from your notebook (assuming your notebook is a Mac). As an alternative, you can use TeamViewer to control the mini from Macs or Windows PCs, as long as both have an internet connection.

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
You could assign manual IP adresses and just use those. Also nice to use the remote desktop from Apple; is cheaper since July and quite helpful. Got one myself also to remote control a Mini

chhoda

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 25, 2008
thanks for all the replies. my laptop is a windows based laptop.

i am more inclined towards ChristianJapan's suggestion. how to assign manual ip address ?
"nice to use remote desktop from apple become cheaper" can you please elaborate ? mine is still 10.6.8

regards

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
Regarding the remote desktop you can't use with Windows. At least I'm not aware of. But you can keep your VNC solution, too.
ARD as product would just make it more apple'ish and allow more control. But might also tend to overkill. VNC ok.

Regarding manual IP you can change the setting in SystemPreferences under network. You have the option to choose "manual"

You could choose e.g 192.168.1.2 for the mini and 192.168.1.3 for your windows. Netmask when asked 255.255.255.0; pritty much standard. Actually I don't right now at my desktop; when home I can make you a snapshot. It's easy.
For windows you do it very similar via Properties and network. Sorry, I dont have any windows at hand but you will be able to find that.

After that you can try to connect via VNC server on the mini.

chhoda

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 25, 2008
I see another problem here.

when i power on the mac mini at my travel location [I don't have a monitor to see.] so it will stop at showing all the users' list to click on them and login. Will i be able to remote login through vnc that time from my laptop ?

regards

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
I have another question. Suppose I bought a Mac Mini with the intention of solely controlling it via screen sharing on my MacBook Pro. I wouldn't be able to do this out-of-box because "screen sharing" in System Preferences on the Mini would have to be checked first, right? Therefore, in order to turn on the "screen sharing" option, I'm going to be forced to come up with a mouse or keyboard, right? (I can use my TV as the monitor.) Or, is there a way to use the MBP's trackpad to control the Mini initially?

MWPULSE

macrumors 6502a
Dec 27, 2008
London
I have another question. Suppose I bought a Mac Mini with the intention of solely controlling it via screen sharing on my MacBook Pro. I wouldn't be able to do this out-of-box because "screen sharing" in System Preferences on the Mini would have to be checked first, right? Therefore, in order to turn on the "screen sharing" option, I'm going to be forced to come up with a mouse or keyboard, right? (I can use my TV as the monitor.) Or, is there a way to use the MBP's trackpad to control the Mini initially?

yup, well if you bought a mac mini you would have to go through the steps of getting it set up/registered etc... 5mins, but still a lot of clicking, and typing!

You might be able to boot the mini up in recovery mode, and then set network settings with your macbook pro to suit, then reboot in 'normal' mode and use it like that as you wish, from the off.. You are probably better off using a TV screen/monitor at least initially! ;)

----------

I see another problem here.

when i power on the mac mini at my travel location [I don't have a monitor to see.] so it will stop at showing all the users' list to click on them and login. Will i be able to remote login through vnc that time from my laptop ?

regards

You could set automatic login, although that poses a security risk slightly. I don't think that you can hitch into a mac without a user logged in (at least not with the standard screen sharing, i think you can with remote desktop) Maybe your VNC app is clever though, might be a try n see... ;)

i know that when i log out off my mac mini/macbook pro, and I'm sharing on the opposite number, it gets confused and tries to reconnect, and keeps trying until i cancel it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.