operating system language

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by sAy2k, Jul 10, 2006.

1. sAy2k macrumors newbie

So in a previous thread I asked what I should do in regards to getting a new mac. Everyone has been super helpful, THANKS!

So I made up my mind: G5 2.3 yada yada ya... so I've been looking at the apple website and some local resellers here in Canada. And I found the 2.3 G5 (part # M9591LL/A ) at Futureshop for $2499 CND, $500 cheaper than at the apple store or any apple resellers here. In Canada the machines are $2999. So in reading the description on the website, two things came up: one it only says it has room for 8GB of memory, when I know they have room for 16GB (right?) and it says "Please Note: This product only contains French operating instructions and system software." Now, if I get this from them I save $500... which will justify the ipod purchase I just made. I know when you buy the latest OSX upgrade, it comes with option on what language you want to install. Would this be the case to? Could I just install the system disk that the machine comes with and choose my language?

2. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

Assuming they give you the restore disks (which they should), you can do a reinstall of the OS (in this case, you want to do a clean install, because of the newness of the machine) and choose your language then... :)

3. wmmk macrumors 68020

wmmk

you should be able to. i think they're just referring to the manuals, which you download the English version of on the support section of apple's website.

4. sAy2k thread starter macrumors newbie

Good points... the machine is from apple, so it should come with all the disks. I was just wondering if the restore discs would be french only.

5. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

No. During the install, the very first prompt asks you which language you wish to proceed with during the installation...

6. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

If it's a brand new system then it'll ask you to select your language the first time you boot.

7. wmmk macrumors 68020

wmmk

well, my restore disks are in all languages, so I don't see why others wouldn't be. it probably would just be best to contact the retailer, though.

8. sAy2k thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah I thought about that, but I've found that the Futureshop isn't the best when it comes to product knowledege when it comes to Macs. Well, I think I'll look at it this way. If I can't understasnd it when I get it, IE I can't change the language for some reason, then I bring it back. Saving $500 is worth a few days of waiting for it to ship and tinkering around. Besides, I have my Tiger disc, I could always plop that in there and change everything around. I'd probably just loose some of the software that shipped with it I suppose.

9. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

I find it would be very strange just to have French "installed". Even though I installed Tiger in English, I can still go to the International panel and put Español as the priority and after reboot everything is in Español (even the help files). So unless they've run delocalizer or a similar program on it, I'm betting it has all the languages in there.

10. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

You can select not to install languages. I only install English, as I don't see myself needing Arabic, Chinese, French, Spanish, Italian, etc. as my primary language any time soon. However, the default install of OS X has all the languages on it, if I recall correctly. :)