Operating System Market Share for December, 2006

Discussion in 'MacBytes.com News Discussion' started by MacBytes, Jan 2, 2007.

1. macrumors bot

2. Administrator emeritus

Mudbug

there doesn't appear to be any info provided with these statistics, so take with a hefty grain of salt.

3. macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

5% sounds about right if you look at new sales. Its a shame Apple never marketed its superior OSX.

4. macrumors 601

DMann

5. Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

They explain themselves if you hit the help button....

Maybe I need to look more carefully, but I observed this:

In the OS share, OS X (all flavors) is listed at 4.15 %

But when you go to the Browser page, you see entries for different versions of Safari with percentages = 3.31 + 0.81 + 0.06 + 0.05 + 0.01 + ... = about 4.23.

Even given rounding errors, we know a good ~25-30% of Mac users don't use Safari (i.e. use a Mozilla variant, or perhaps Opera).

We also know Safari doesn't really exist outside of OS X.

So... how is it that the Safari users by themselves outnumber the OS X users altogether?

:rolleyes:

*adds another grain of salt*

6. macrumors 601

DMann

Marketing OS X

The reason this would not work well is
    that the OS X user experience would be
    substantially compromised while running
    on cheap machines like Dell and other PC
    hacks and knock-offs, not to mention the
    enormous amounts of additional code and
    drivers which would be necessary to support
    a wide and diverse spectrum of compatibility.

By not marketing OS X, Apple has maintained
    a true integrity between hardware and OS,
    resulting in an optimal user experience.

7. macrumors 601

DMann

Great point!

So much for speculative and dated data....

8. macrumors 603

whooleytoo

Odd that they have separate Mac OS and MacIntel categories, I presume by "Mac OS" they mean "all versions of OSX on PowerPC"?

9. Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Oh, I didn't notice the MacIntel category... :eek: That might explain my question....

And yet, even there... The ratio of PPC to Intel Macs is almost 2:1? That seems hard to believe given the size of the installed PPC base.

I wonder about all kinds of non-random sampling issues with this type of analysis.

10. Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Note that there is a separate category for MacIntel...I assume (like whooleytoo below) that "MacOS" is only PPC systems. But it is also interesting to see the MacOS share rebounding if it is in fact only PPC systems. Month-to-month trend for 2006 here.

11. Moderator emeritus

There are 0.89 % of people still being counted as using WinME? That's difficult to believe that anyone would stick with that mess.

I think we have to look at where they're getting their information. Most of these require the server to gather statistics. Obviously, if the server is only for Windows-based clients, you'll see 99.9 % or so using Windows and a curious 0.1 %.

12. macrumors G3

iMeowbot

Thanks to Rosetta and late-arriving universal plugins, any attempt to tell PPC and Macintel apart from user agent strings during 2006 is doomed.

13. macrumors 6502

Safari is a VERY fast browser... :p

I find the MacIntel numbers to be encouraging and surprising considering the relative newness of the Intel Macs - basically in less than a year Intel Macs have accounted for more than 1% of the entire installed computer market. That is substantial, and points to a LOT of new users.

14. macrumors regular

Me

A friend of mine got a free computer from his parents when they bought a new one. It doesn't meet the minimums for Win2k or XP, so he's still running WinME on it until he gets around to buying a new computer. However, his company provides him with a sweet desktop at work and a laptop to take home, so he'll probably never get around to replacing that WinME desktop, which still gets occasional use. Plus, for the year that we were roommates during college, it worked better than the computers of all my other roommates that were using Win 98 SE (networked flawlessly with my Mac running OS X; never did get those Win 98 PCs to work with my Mac).

What happened to that "5% down, 95% to go" thing Apple was doing? Seems like we're still at that 5% (or just now actually made it there).

15. macrumors 6502a

16. macrumors 68030

FF_productions

The Mac Os is REALLY a minority compared to windows. Whatever, just because 95 percent of the world is using Windows doesn't mean I have to use Windows. I'm of the 5 percent that do not want to deal with the **** that Windows has had to offer.

17. Moderator emeritus

I'm not sure whether it was 5 % worldwide or just in the U.S.A. but it's all dependent on how you look at the numbers. They reached 12 % in one category and 6 % in another and yet, still 2.5 % in another category.

If the people buying computers were all buying their own software, I'd think that more would go for Macs. Free software is a big draw.

Strange about WinME vs. Win98 SE, though I ran Win98 SE through Virtual PC and it up-ended about 3 hours into its first run and I had to re-install it. There were a lot of patches later.

18. Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Nobody mentioned running it on non-Apple hardware. Apple should promote their OS by showing what it can do, rather than just saying "Macs are good".

19. macrumors 68030

FF_productions

I think it would be difficult to show what the Mac OS can do in commercials. It would be hard to explain how it's better than Windows w/out being too technical/boring. The easiest way to compare the Mac OS and Windows OS is by showing how easy it is for Windows to be compromised by spyware/virus and stuff like that and how OSX is rock solid.

20. macrumors member

As much sense as this makes. It absolutely doesn't work with most people.