operating systems? charge no more than $99 in future

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by jefhatfield, Aug 16, 2002.

1. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

what is with apple charging so much for jaguar?

...and future "major" os releases should be $99 at the very most

2. ShaolinMiddleFinger macrumors 6502a

ShaolinMiddleFinger

I don't know about this one. $129 seems to be a good price to me....what do you want to do? Have it cost as much as XP Professional? If you don't want to pay for that price then don't upgrade....

3. SilvorX macrumors 68000

SilvorX

hmm better priced as what shaolin said, concidering m$ charges $500 (CDN) for xp pro full edition, while jag is alot cheaper than that, what would be better, 500 bux for something thats buggy, or something thats 200 (cdn) thats smooth and fast? ;)

jaguar is like windows 95 going into 98...but upgrading a mac from 10.1.x to 10.2 will actually have NOTICABLE changes on the software (u dont notice much from 95 -> 98 cept ie crud everywhere n even more bsods) n osx is a very stable os, unlike windows...so just remember that the os that is the stablest of them all is cheaper than the cruddiest one of them all ;)

4. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

5. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

Re: operating systems? charge no more than $99 in future

Personally, $129 is not a price that I would pay. The most that I would pay would be $80.

Luckily for me, I have a friend who works for the government that can sponsor my purchase of 10.2 for $65. This works nicely for me.

NOTE - government employees are allowed to purchase/or sponsor six complete Mac systems a year. That's really nice. Plus, it doesn't have to be for government use, personal use is just fine.

NOTE2 - the government discount for hardware isn't that great, but the software discount is really worth it.

6. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

Re: Re: operating systems? charge no more than $99 in future

being a former civil servant, and a former student, i think apple should give more of a discount since neither traditionally has that much extra money

when i finished college in the early 90s, the military and civil service sector (where i went) were offering 9-11 dollars an hour ($9.30/hr for gs-5 and $11/hr for lt. jr. grade in us navy) for newly minted college graduates...i took the measly 9.30 an hour for department of defense while some 19 years olds were making that much at subway sandwiches as assistant managers

...while the private industry sector, near san jose, was offering 20 dollars an hour by comparison...even not so hot job markets were offering 15 an hour for recent college graduates

and as for students, unless one has very generous parents, apple's hardware discount for students is not enough...it was twenty and thirty percent off in previous years...what happened to that?

but the government discount on software sounds really great:D