operating systems

Discussion in 'Community' started by jefhatfield, Sep 29, 2002.

?

least successful operating system launch and/or sales

1. windows 2000

5 vote(s)
    10.9%
  2. windows ME

31 vote(s)
    67.4%
  3. any non red hat linux os

4 vote(s)
    8.7%
  4. os x

6 vote(s)
    13.0%
  1. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

os 9 worked and is used a lot, same with red hat linux, same with windows 95 and 98

but some operating systems flopped and had bad sales or were not used that much...which is the most notable flop?

being a windows/pc tech, i have to say that the launch of windows 2000 was just awful and the industry took a long time to come around and in many cases did not

though windows 2000 was supposed to be friendlier to gaming developers than windows nt, the develpement of windows 2000 games was sluggish

and windows 2000 was supposed to have the stability of windows nt and the multimedia aspects of windows 98 and be the first all around operating system, but that did not work so microsoft back pedaled and put out the multimedia operating system windows ME

driver support for windows 2000 was not great, especially for backward compatible hardware on the hardware compatability list

in a way, windows 2000 and windows ME was a stop gap between windows 98 and windows xp

windows 2000 and windows xp have the basic code and stability of windows nt and is not dos like windows 95/98/ME and that is or is not a good thing depending on your perspective

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I'd say WinME, it SUCKED! U were better of sticking with 98.

3. job macrumors 68040

job

Windows ME = Windows Might Explode.. :D

SuSE Linux has made it pretty big in Europe along with Mandrake Linux.

Just because it is not Red Hat does not mean it won't succeed. :p

4. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

windows me was rushed due to the shortcomings of windows 2000

red hat got the jump in linux and is not the best version of linux according to many linux people

the big linux certification for us techies is the RHCE or red hat certified engineer, perhaps the second hardest certification to attain after the CCIE or cisco certified internetworking expert which was originally for salespeople of cisco routers who had to know their product really well

the windows 2000 technical certifications flopped just like the operating system and microsoft decided not to retire the legions of windows nt certified techies

and many businesses and organizations kept their windows nt 4.0 networks, too

5. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

that is true about windows 98 being better

however, microsoft decided to use windows me for the millions of home computers instead of windows 2000 which was their original plan

windows xp home ended up being microsoft's first nt operating system widely used in homes

6. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

ha ha ha....I just love these multiple jefhatfield threads! :D

anyway...I'm placing my vote on Windows ME...based on the amount of bitching I've heard by peecee users saying how much they hate it... ;)

7. dreamlance macrumors regular

Re: operating systems

2000 and ME just sucked in my opinion. Had way too many problems with both trying run games and avoid freezing. If they tried releasing ME to combat 2000 multimedia problems, it seems like they didn't get it right the second time either. Or it could be just my experience with it.

8. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

ME definitely...

2K, now that we have seen a couple SPs is much better...preferable to XP Pro in many instances.

9. funkywhat2 macrumors 6502a

funkywhat2

What's all this about people voting for OS X?

10. mac15 macrumors 68040

mac15

OSX ddin't take off so well thats why, now its coming along nicely, but I would have to say Win 2000 , I didn't even know it was out, until someone told me

11. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

I decided to just skim it quickly, and I assumed that it was asking what the best operating system was.... I put OS X. I want to withdraw my vote. I want to put Windows ME:

Attached Files:

12. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

ME is 98 4th edition. I checked on my friends system, it actually says that if you know where to look. Plus they removed the DOS underpinning, which should have helped but it just made it worse. Damn thing crashes all the time and has a TON of problems.

Win2000 had it problems too (only 65,000 KNOWN bugs!). Most of them have been ironed out at least, but it still has problems and M$ has access to your system, even with a firewall. Check the SP3 user agreement. I have 2000 (hacked version, he he) on my cheapy PC and it's okay. Better than 98 was at most stuff. Doesn't seem to crash as much.

It still sux, though. I can't wait to get OS X on my new Mac after I move in a few months (delays, delays). I've had various versions of OS 9, 8.x, and even 7 (shudder) on previous Mac systems. I had a lot of problems, but they were still better than Win95 (well, most of them, most of the time).

Now where's my GHz iBook?

Edit: Oh yeah. WinXP is terrible. I've used it. I hate it. More M$ crap.

13. SilvorX macrumors 68000

SilvorX

windows me without a doubt, i had to set up a friend of my mom's computer a year ago n within 5 min as soon as it was done booting for the first time it already crashed....

14. King Cobra macrumors 603

I'm going to agree with the majority...ME probably had the most problems. When upgrading from 98 you had a 50% chance of f**king up your PC on installation, and a 50% chance of the PC eventually f***ing up on you.

Around one and a half years ago I read a report about someone installing Windows ME on three of his PCs. (If anyone has read this story before, I don't mean to bore you to death...) The first installation went rather well, with some minor problems. The second installation required resetting/changing a lot of the data around. The last one required a whole reentry of data, and caused a large number of problems with trying to connect to the internet.

I have never heard of a PC ***** up like that. But it's happened.

15. Over Achiever macrumors 68000

Over Achiever

I had ME...and that baby sucked. I had barely enough RAM for XP, and even tho' XP sucked I got it...ME was horrible.:mad:

16. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Who are the friggin idiots that chose OS X!

X has been wildly successful. Man, the ignorance of people.

;)

17. sparkleytone macrumors 68020

sparkleytone

i didnt vote because i would say that winXP was the least successful OS launch. it just didnt bring people in droves. i worked the midnight madness at CompUSA and really, it only lasted about an hour, and the people were there for the free stuff.

win2k was successful enough, it just wasnt aimed at consumers and thats why it didnt show up on the radar. OS X.1 and X.2 have both been extremely successful launches for apple. and just as win2k, linux is not aimed at consumers, so its generally off the radar as well.

18. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

i am a microsoft MCP in the field and i work on home and business based computers...originally windows 2000 was windows nt 5.0 and the idea was to make it the all around home and business operating system...it's just that m$ did not get it right and get the support in time for launch date

it was kind of like os x, which started off slowly and then gained steam

but unlike os x which apple faithfully stuck to, microsoft moved onto the windows xp campaign

now xp is the main os on any new windows desktop or laptop though one can special order any older os back to windows 95

os x is great but got off to almost as bad a start as windows 2000...that is why it is on the list

now i expect jaguar to be better than os x beta...right? he he

19. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

thats what i was thinking.

come on who is it? show yourself?

20. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

i meant two items on the os x poll item

either the os x beta or os x, 10.0

10.1 and 10.2 are later versions and not initial launches of os x

21. ejb190 macrumors 65816

ejb190

Anyone remember OS2 Warp?

Now there is an OS that crash and burned!

I have XP at work. It was at first intolerable, but the IT department has gotten it so it is halfway stable. Only crashes about once a week now. Of course we had the same problem when we switched from a UNIX network to NT in 2000.

This network is a monster.

22. beatle888 macrumors 68000

beatle888

I accidently clicked on OSX. ***** that sucked.