Operating temp for Powerbook g4 1Ghz

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by ftored, Aug 17, 2011.

1. macrumors regular

ftored

I was trying to install an optibay knock off on my pb g4 and accidentally tore off a connector from the motherboard.

Some sites state that either that is the speaker cable or something that has to do with the bluetooth. Thing is everything works as normal and i cant track down the problem.

I started thinking maybe it was the fan's cable but i dont really know. And so i became paranoid for the temperature on the processor. It sits around 60-65 celcius while just surfing. Is that normal? I am using an app called temperature monitor.

what temperatures do you get on your g4s?

2. macrumors 68040

Badrottie

my powerbook g4 with 1.5ghz temp is about 120 to 125F

3. macrumors 68040

dontwalkhand

Do you still hear the fan operating? Take a look at the connectors again and see if you can pinpoint where the wires route to. Fan connectors have a two prong connection that is unfortunately very easy to break, but pretty easy to fix.

4. macrumors 6502

Best way to tell is using iStat That'll give you the fan speed.

5. macrumors 6502a

wow, you should back everything up, open it up, clean it out with an air duster and then do a clean install of the OS. Have that thing running like new!

6. macrumors 68040

Badrottie

is that a joke? I bought this last May and clean everything but did not fresh install Leopard because I do not have OSX dvd and I can't afford to buy OSX dvd so I dont use powerbook that much until i find someone who can donate osx dvd. :(

7. thread starter macrumors regular

ftored

120F is low enough i think, so i would guess that you don't need to do anything about it.

I came to the conclusion that the fan is not working as in stats says that fan speed is 0. I need to see how i can fix that. Thing is the connector broke off the motherboard and not off the wire. Maybe i should apply some thermal paste on the processor too.

8. macrumors 65816

AQUADock

Its normal for the fan to be at 0 when its not doing much, try something processor intensive and if the fan turns on then its fine.

9. macrumors 68040

Badrottie

thank you very much I thought accessoriesguy is giving me an heart attack!!