OPERATION APPLE FREEDOM

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by kwajaln, Sep 26, 2004.

1. kwajaln macrumors 6502

kwajaln

Hello!

I am on a military installation in Kuwait as part of Operation Iraqi Freedom. Several people here are interested in getting an Apple computer and have been viewing this forum with me and we find it very helpful. I was wondering if any of you would be willing to send your already read Apple/Mac magazines and/or books to us here in Kuwait. We have a very difficult time getting goods, even magazines, here. Thank you all very, very much! (the shipping will be the same as anywhere in the continental US)

Apple Magazines for Kuwait
    c/o William Partridge
    KBR
    Camp Beuhring, Kuwait
    APO AE 09330

2. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

Are you talking about catalogs (like MacMall) or informational magazines (like MacWorld/MacAddict)? I have a few extra MacMall catalogs... but I save my Mac Addict back issues :p

Have you tried contacting MacMall or other companies to see if they will send you regular catalogs, since it doesn't cost them extra postage?

Also, maybe you could pool some money together and buy a joint subscription to Mac Addict or something? I think its $50 for two years, so you could all pay say $10 and get 24 issues to share between you.

3. kwajaln thread starter macrumors 6502

kwajaln

CrazyEddie,

I was really referring more to magazines, such as MacWorld and MacAddict, but we would certainly not be choosy! I had considered your idea about the group subscription before, but we have a problem here due to the fast and high turnover rate. I have met so many people here and then *poof* I hear they are in Iraq or went home (to the States), or occassionally, worse.

If anyone has any questions, feel free to email me at kwajaln@msn.com and please put something about Kuwait in the subject line. By the way, I am NOT trying to drum up support for the US military presence here. Thank you all for your generosity.

4. jared_kipe macrumors 68030

jared_kipe

If it is so hard to get goods over there, but you have an internet ready computer, maybe you could try some of the online magazine subscription things. Specifically Zino or something like that.

5. kwajaln thread starter macrumors 6502

kwajaln

Jared,

I guess I can understand your not wanting to part with an already read magazine, but for those who may be willing to:

The internet-capable computer is not the problem, it is not having that much time to spend online. I am not going to sit in front of a computer browsing an online magazine while there are people waiting behind me whose families are waiting for an email to hear they are still alive. For the vast majority of people here it is not realistic to get online to read a magazine because they may only get 5-10 minutes online at a time. But they do have the time to read a paper magazine while sitting at their job site for 12 hours a day in 115 degree heat, and that's why I thought some people here might be willing to help out. Thanks again!

6. JLS macrumors 6502

But you do have time to read MacRumours forum?!

Sorry to be skeptical but thats a contradiction if ever I saw one.

7. jtgotsjets macrumors 6502

jtgotsjets

yea, i'm so sure this guy is lying to you just so he can steal all your back issues. better be careful

(in other words, don't be a jerk)

8. dotnina macrumors 6502a

ok everyone, relax a little

He's right that they only have a few minutes at a time to use the internet. I know someone stationed in Iraq, and this was exactly the situation for him. He used to sign on to AIM and have just enough time to say hello before he had to get off the internet.

Frankly I'm surprised we're all giving him so much heat. He's not asking anyone for their first born, just back issues of Mac magazines. Surely, more than a few of us have those lying around.

It would be pointless to start a subscription now. Subscriptions typically take 6 weeks or more to process, and even if they subscribe to two magazines, they'd be getting two magazines every 30 days. I don't know about you guys, but I plow through Macworld in about 10 minutes.

I think this is a fair, kindly-stated request that deserves a little less skepticism from us.

9. dotnina macrumors 6502a

Like he said,

He's not going through all the posts, just looking around here and there.

And for heaven's sake he put his address, an obviously MILITARY ADDRESS in the original post.

Oh no, I smell a scammer. :rolleyes:

10. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

I think it would be great if some of the publishing houses started sending a few hundred copies over to Iraq, including some back issues (since there are always overruns and newstand returns). It wouldn't cost them all that much really, and would be good publicity for them. Maybe Apple ought to buy them and ship them over. Might generate a few more switchers.
    Good will, and good press for cheap.

11. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Can do. I've got a bunch. On one condition. Enter the Where's George bill I send you so I can have Kuwaiti APO entry! :) Thanks!

One question though, how far back do you want? Is there a limit on how far back? E.g., I have issues from 2002 that I'll never read again either.

12. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

He has posted here before from Iraq, and never asking for magazine, always for suggestions. He asked about a Mac book, and we recommended David Pogue's "Missing Manual."

Hell, I don't even support the war in Iraq, and couldn't care less about it, but I care about people, and if he's over there sacrificing himself for US/British beliefs, then don't be a jackass to someone a cause your country is a part of. He's over there because of your ass so that you don't have to bother.

And these are USED magazines. If I had ever bought a Mac mag, I would have sent it by now.

@Yellow: I'm guessing he's asking for at least somewhat recent Mac magazines, maybe within the last 12 months. Since he asked about a good Apple book, I'm guessing he just wants a way to learn about Macs but couldn't get The Manual. Good of you to help him out. :)

13. jkaz macrumors 6502

What's the process for shipping? Just put them in a box, put the address on and take it to the post office?

Should I leave it unsealed so they can inspect it?

Do you need multiple copies of the same magazines? ( I plan on sending the last 5 or 6 issues of Mac World )

Do you want anything else shipped while i'm at it?

14. Champale macrumors member

Sure

I'll try to send some magazines out.

Got some Macworlds and whatnot lying around. They're well-browsed of course!
    Anyway, it's a good cause.

Try to stay cool out there!

:)

15. morkintosh macrumors regular

I agree; I am by no means a supporter of the conflict over there, but seriously, all this guy wants are some back issues. If I had a subscription I'd send them over. The worst this could be is a scam to steal an identity which would be easily solved by just cutting off the mailing label.

You Jobs fan boys wouldn't be acting like this if he were a drafted Apple employee.

16. kwajaln thread starter macrumors 6502

kwajaln

First of all, I REALLY appreciate the positive responses! Trust me, I am not running a used magazines scam (trying to keep a straight face).

Jtgotsjets and Dotnina, thanks for initiating the positive posts!

Yellow....consider your Where's George bill taken care of! As for your question, as Abstract stated, I am more interested in the fairly recent issues, mainly because I am planning to buy an Apple when I return and am hoping to learn as much as I can about the current OS, etc.

Jkaz....Although I am in Kuwait, shipping is the same as to anywhere in the States. No need to leave a package unsealed, but insurance is the best way to ensure it will not be opened. That is up to you, though.

Powermac666....Great idea and I only wish the magazine publishers would think about it, too.

jls, I shouldn't even address your ridiculous post, but for the benefit of the others who responded in a positive manner, I will:

I work indoors and have access to the internet as part of my job, which is rare for most of the people over here. As I said, I am not doing this only for myself, but also to share what people are generous enough to send with my coworkers and also the military troops here. THEY are the ones who are not fortunate enough to get internet access as conveniently I as do. THEY are the ones who will really appreciate being able to read something other than the same old magazines they sell at the PX month in and month out. Any other questions, jls?

Thank you all very much! And if anyone wants a postcard from Kuwait/Iraq, let me know! kwajaln@msn.com

17. rdowns Suspended

rdowns

MR is a tough crowd but some of the replies in here just suck. Whether you support the operation in Iraq or not, these poor men and women are stuck in that hellhole.

I subscribe to MacWorld, MacAddict and MacHOME and have some back issues somewhere around here. Consider them shipped this weekend. I think I also have a few issues of Cargo, a very cool new men's mag.

I also forwarded your post to the above magazines. Maybe they'll pitch in.

18. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Yeah, I just have to say again that I really got annoyed by some of the posts here.

"Why don't you get a subscription?" "Why don't you get an online subscription?" You serious? Back-issues.....he's only looking for backissues. I'm guessing some of you have never travelled outside the comfy US where this isn't a problem.

Anyway, hope you get what you want. Its quite hard to learn about Macs through magazines if you don't already know about Macs, or aren't particular spectacular with computers. Lots of tips and such, which may help you figure out what some of the settings are for. Otherwise, doing basic things on a Mac is easy.

19. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

If you had asked during MacWorld Expo, I would have snagged a whole bunch of the free mags they had there for you...
    I'll see if there are some I don't think I'll be reading again and could be useful to you (or anyone) that I can spare.

20. dotnina macrumors 6502a

Hey Kwajaln -- I'm currently gathering all my Macworlds for you. :)

Hurrah for everyone else who has added positive comments to this thread. I knew we're a little nicer than that here at Macrumors. ;)

21. stealthy macrumors member

stealthy

I just recycled some recently :( I wish I had seen this first!

I am also going to forward this post to some of these magazines. The more they hear, the more they might be inclined to send some!

22. VoteGWB2004 macrumors newbie

Gathering Now

I will get all of mine together and also i have friends that would be glad to donate to you. I would also like to thank you for your loyal service to our country.

23. beatle888 macrumors 68000

beatle888

jeeeze finally. thank you for your humane post. i couldnt believe the selfish posts in this thread. unbelievable.

and to the guy asking for the mags. your restraint was inspiring. most others on this board would of returned the nasty disposition. thanks for doing what you do and god bless.

24. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

There have been more posts here about the selfish/insensitive/stupid posts than there are actual selfish/insensitive/stupid posts WE GET THE FREAKIN' IDEA! :mad:

25. jkaz macrumors 6502

i've got some other magazines that i don't need, entertainment weekly and some rolling stone want any?