Opinion: Apple and MS

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Chaszmyr, Aug 15, 2004.

1. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

Who thinks everyone would be better off if Microsoft fired all of their own employees and bought Apple? MS doesn't do anything right, but imagine what Apple could do with that budget!

(Obviously this post isn't really meant to be serious)

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Apple wouldn't have nearly enough employees to replace their own (MS) staff. So that'd be the first hitch :D

3. Chaszmyr thread starter macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

Well... They can keep the people running non-technical jobs :p

4. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Putting Billy Gates and Stevie J in a room together to see who survive in the role as Chief Software Architect would probably look a lot like the real life version Celebrity DeathMatch. :eek:

5. FuzzyBallz macrumors 6502a

FuzzyBallz

I don't think Apple has enough minority employees to replace those MS employs, especially not the customer service ones.

Huh? How is it Apple's budget when they got bought out by MS?

6. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

Then why post it? People are going to reply, disagree, and argue. Think first--this is troll bait.

7. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Wait a minute! You mean people are going to read a thread, then respond to it, and have debate, on a forum!? Say it ain't so! SAY IT AIN'T SO! :rolleyes:

8. janey macrumors 603

janey

bill gates would win. clearly.
    steve jobs has no knowledge whatsoever (well maybe a little more than the layman but not too much) regarding software development. Really. Jobs was never the technical person behind all the stuff they did either...he was just the visionary and the genius marketer.

On the other hand Bill Gates personally coded when Microsoft was still a fledgling company and still sorta does.

9. Chaszmyr thread starter macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

Bill Gates did code... He did some pretty good work, from what I understand.. But I don't think Microsoft ever made any money off of anything he coded

10. janey macrumors 603

janey

microsoft wouldn't be microsoft if bill gates didnt code :eek:

11. stevehaslip macrumors 6502a

stevehaslip

didn't microsoft buy some code from IBM or something at the start, it was either that or Micro$oft bought some small company who wrote something then Micro$oft changed parts of it and licenced it to be put on machines.

I'm sure I just made a complete hash of what I just tried to say, I saw a programme about Apple and Micro$oft a while back. It was a comparison thing that played one off against the other. Good ol' BBC!

12. Chaszmyr thread starter macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

Microsoft bought DOS from some guy in a garage and sold it to IBM

13. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

I'm just saying when you put Apple and Microsoft together in a thread it invariably turns into a flame war and whatever productive coversation was going on disappears. It's asking for trouble and someone who has been around very long should know that. Since it's not meant to be taken seriously in the first place I have to wonder what the motivation is to post it.

14. Chaszmyr thread starter macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

It was just meant to be a little bit amusing. There hasn't been anything remotely flame-like in this thread that wasn't related to your disapproval of it being posted.

15. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

I thought he did GW-Basic interpeter or something. It was one of the key pieces of software that opened the doors for him with DOS. Today he probably just codes in Applescript on his powerbook. :D

16. Chaszmyr thread starter macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

LOL. Whatever his main thing was, it was BASIC related, I don't remember exactly what though.

17. macsrus macrumors 6502

Silly thread...
    But while its open....
    Why would Microsoft buy Apple.....
    They make more money selling office for Apple than Apple makes off of selling Macs...
    Therefore buying Apple would be a bad investment for them...

hehe what a troll

18. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

no, IBM needed a OS for their new line computers, they ask microsoft to do it but the refered to a canadian company with this software called DOS. The company didn't want to do the deal with IBM so microsoft bought DOS for $20,000 and the rest is history.

19. janey macrumors 603

janey

bill gates & co. bought tim paterson and seattle computer products' quick and dirty operating system (qdos). its not from `some guy in a garage` :eek: :p
    gates then changed the code a little to make it more polished and stuff and presented to IBM what is now known as MS-DOS 1.0.* After IBM agreed to using it, Microsoft bought all the rights to qdos (egads! stupid mistake for paterson lol). A few months later, IBM and Microsoft was going to bundle MS-DOS with IBM's computers, but after quality assurance checks they found hundreds of bugs and had to rewrite it and call it PC-DOS, which is why `PC-DOS` is owned by both IBM and Microsoft.

*Off on a little sidenote here, IBM had the choice to choose the software of a relatively big software company or dinky little Microsoft's OS. The one IBM chose would be forever famous and the other would just practically fall off the face of this planet as far as IBM was concerned. I dont think the company actualyl withdrew. I think IBM just found more potential in Microsoft.

And that BBC program found Bill Gates to be more powerful than Steve Jobs.