Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ctbear

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 6, 2010
I currently have an $10 Acase stylus from amazon. It works rather well, except that it is a little too thin and short for me. I also don't quite like that I have to apply some pressure to register a touch to the screen. I'm thinking about getting a new stylus have set my mind on an Alupen and a Bamboo stylus.
The Bamboo stylus seems long enough for me and is receiving very favorable reviews. However it is quite a bit more expensive and out of stock everywhere.
The Alupen provides a better grip but looks shorter than the Bamboo stylus. Some say the Alupen is better for hand writing because it is shaped similar to a permanent marker, since writing on the screen is just like writing on a white board. The Alupen also doesn't have a clip which is more of a hassle to carry around.
By the way I need the stylus just to write notes. I don't draw.
Which one will better suit my need?

tirnszw

macrumors member
Nov 17, 2010
Go with Bamboo Stylus

I've never tried Alupen but, I love my sleek Bamboo Stylus. It feels solid, durable and, it weighs just about right in your hand. Writing or drawing on iPad is very comfortable. It's worth the price for the quality item (Made in Japan).

I just realized it's no longer in stock at Amazon.com. It must be selling like hot cakes. Got mine delivered only a few days ago.

ctbear

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 6, 2010
I've never tried Alupen but, I love my sleek Bamboo Stylus. It feels solid, durable and, it weighs just about right in your hand. Writing or drawing on iPad is very comfortable. It's worth the price for the quality item (Made in Japan).

I just realized it's no longer in stock at Amazon.com. It must be selling like hot cakes. Got mine delivered only a few days ago.

Is it hard to write with your palm hovering above the screen?

3goldens

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2008
Born NYC Living in CT
I have both and use both with a tendency to use the Bamboo more when going out because of the clip and I took the headphone plug off my Boxwave and attached it to the clip on the bamboo so it attaches directly to the Ipad nicely.

Your right the lack of a clip is the biggest drawback of the Alupen which I kind of prefer writing wise actually. It has a firmer tip and one needs no pressure to write, just writes like a regular pen on the screen.

The Bamboo has really the same soft tip as many others, but it does have a completely different interaction with the screen than other stylus's. While you do need to apply the slightest amount of pressure to write the screen responds to it it precisely.

I think if transporting your stylus is a concern, clearly you should go with the Bamboo, and try ordering it directly from them, that's where I got mine and they will have them in stock before anyone else for sure.

Try their notepad app too, very nice, simple and straightforward.

Good luck.

ctbear

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 6, 2010
Most note-taking apps have palm-resting features.

The palm area is always below where I am writing...which is kind of useless because when I write with a pen my palm rests to the right of where I'm writing...I end up just hover my palm over the screen.

I have both and use both with a tendency to use the Bamboo more when going out because of the clip and I took the headphone plug off my Boxwave and attached it to the clip on the bamboo so it attaches directly to the Ipad nicely.

Your right the lack of a clip is the biggest drawback of the Alupen which I kind of prefer writing wise actually. It has a firmer tip and one needs no pressure to write, just writes like a regular pen on the screen.

The Bamboo has really the same soft tip as many others, but it does have a completely different interaction with the screen than other stylus's. While you do need to apply the slightest amount of pressure to write the screen responds to it it precisely.

I think if transporting your stylus is a concern, clearly you should go with the Bamboo, and try ordering it directly from them, that's where I got mine and they will have them in stock before anyone else for sure.

Try their notepad app too, very nice, simple and straightforward.

Good luck.

Thanks for the input.
Transporting the stylus is not really a huge concern...I'm more concerned about comfort, especially when writing.

Firen

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2009
Vienna, Austria

If you use a note-taking app where you can't rest your hand on the device you're probably gonna throw your iPad against a wall after a two lines. At least that' what I wanna do ^^

tirnszw

macrumors member
Nov 17, 2010
Using my Bamboo Stylus on iPad

Writing without resting my palm on iPad is not an easy task however, handwriting/drawing apps (Bamboo Paper, Penultimate, etc.) can help you prevent unintentional marks made by your knuckles of your hand on contact with iPad surface.

I do not think writing with your palm off would be a problem once you get used to how stylus grips onto the surface of iPad. It takes some practice. Because writing on iPad is very fluid and involves less friction than you get when you write on a paper with pen, I tend to write in cursive on iPad.

To assist me in writing on iPad on desktop, I use my stand. The stand is adjustable at multiple angles and stable enough to withstand wobbling while writing on iPad. What I do often is to put my lower arm on the edge of my desk while keeping my hand off the iPad when precision and control (or when my hand and arm are fatigued and lazy) is needed in writing or drawing.

ctbear

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 6, 2010
Thanks for all the replies. :)

Just bought and received an Alupen, since the Bamboo stylus is out everywhere.
Works like a dream. Feels hefty in my hand, and good thickness. I think this is a keeper.

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
I tried the bamboo and it's nice if not a bit mushy. I bought the alupen based solely on comments here. It writes and draws very nicely, but I feel it's a bit oversized, width wise. Not quite sure why it needs to be so fat. There is still room on the market for the perfect stylus IMO.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.