Opinion on CORSAIR RAM?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by ShaggyLR, May 30, 2004.

1. ShaggyLR macrumors member

I have recently bought a G4 12" iBook and am looking into buying some RAM for it. A local PC hardware Store (usually knows for good prices and decent quality) has the following.

CORSAIR 266MHZ DDR ECC 512MB PC2100 $180CDN

Has anyone heard of the company Corsair? And is the above RAM compatible with the iBook? I've done a search for Corsair on this forum, and it has been mentioned, but not whether it's good RAM or not.

Thanks!

2. Gherkin macrumors 6502

Yes, and from what I remember, they are a very good company.

3. Bigheadache macrumors 6502

I doubt it will be compatible. Laptop RAM is usually in SoDIMM modules, I don't recall any ECC RAM coming in SoDIMM modules. And I don't know why you would want to pay the extra for ECC anyway, unless you are planning on running some mission critical software.

4. Makosuke macrumors 603

Corsair specializes in PC overclockers, but as a result their more expensive stuff is supposed to be quite good. I almost got some of the LED-equipped modules they make for my G5, but they don't physically fit (too tall), so I went with the less expensive but still quality Crucial instead.

That said, like Bigheadache said, that stick doesn't look like laptop RAM at all--looks more like server stuff, in fact. You're going to want a fast-enough SoDIMM (your manual should explain what exactly your iBook needs), and the easiest way to get something you're sure will be compatible (outside of buying at Apple's inflated prices) is to go with an online reseller who specializes in Macs and has a lifetime guarantee--Crucial, OWC, and the like.

5. Coolvirus007 macrumors regular

ECC is only for servers. It corrects error or something (its on the Crucial website).

Also, Corsair excels in high-end desktop ram with this heatsinks attached to them for overclockers as makosuke said. They are the same quality range as Crucial when it comes to laptop or normal desktop RAM.

6. ShaggyLR thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I just went to the Crucial web page and their prices are really good. Is the RAM phisically the same for 12" and 14" iBooks? Just to make sure I get the right one.

Thanks!

7. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Just use Crucials memory selector, then you can't go wrong, and they guarantee compatibility :)

From the memory selector, for a 1GHz G4 iBook: http://www.crucial.com/store/listpa...Apple&cat=RAM&model=iBook+(G4+1GHz)&submit=Go

edit: See here for information on ordering from Canada.