Opinion wanted: Bad Moderating/Administrating

Discussion in 'Community' started by urban1985_, Feb 28, 2005.

1. urban1985_ macrumors regular

This isn't directed at this forum (I think this is actually very well moderated). I just wanted some opinions on this situation.

There's this other forum, created by this teenager. It's a great site, and he's a talented designer, but he's also the site's administrator. This poses a huge problem becuase in his young age, he tends to run the site very subjectively. He's terribly inconsistent when it comes to moving posts from the General Discussion, to other places.

I made a post saying that someone is hot. In a sea of threads named "Who will win in a battle," "Hottest girl on...," etcetera, the thread I made isn't that out of place.

What does he do? He says there should be a girls only section, and trashes my post (like putting it in Wasteland). I PM him, asking why, and he gives me some BS reason that it should be in this special interests section. I replied by asking him why he trashed the thread instead of moving it there, and telling him there were many other threads like mine from the general discussion section. He never got back to me.

I saw my thread moved to the special interests section, with a post from him basically trying to act cool and taunting me. It isn't a big deal, threads get moved all the time. But this guy I feel has never liked me. I think I actually left the forum because of him way back, and came back because I missed the people. Also, there's probably some homophobic reasons as to why he moved it.

Is this or is this not bad moderating?

2. killuminati macrumors 68020

killuminati

Yes that is very bad moderating.

So you think he trashed the thread because hes homophobic? To tell you the truth, I wouldn't want to be involved in a forum with people like that. It is very unfortunate though if there is a great community but just a bad moderator.

3. urban1985_ thread starter macrumors regular

Oh it's a wicked community. I wouldn't post there otherwise. Just questionable moderating. It hasn't really bothered me much until now.

You're from Van maybe you know what I'm talking about.

4. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

Well its his forum, so I guess your kinds up s*** creek my friend. My advise would be to not worry about this, as you prob have bigger/better battles to fight than this.

5. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

6. Mudbug Administrator emeritus

Mudbug

I'd say it's doing little to advance his community, if that's what he's trying to build. Moderating is a kind of thing you want to be almost transparent. The less aware people are of things happening, the happier the people are. By inforcing personal subjectivity on something just because 'you can', you can effectively turn everyone off to the idea you're trying to promote.

7. Jon'sLightBulbs macrumors 6502a

I thought this was going to be another uncalled-for cheapshot at edesignuk... :)

8. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I'm not sure I've seen a cheap shot at e that was "uncalled for". ;)
    Just kidding....

But yeah, that's bad moderating at its best - erratic, biased, immature.

9. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

It's his forum. If it were my forum, you'd have been summarily banned without question or explanation required. Just count your lucky stars.

10. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

I agree. I was on a forum that was splinter group from another forum that had too heavy of a moderators hand when it came to general discussion. In the end that new forum had a owner/mod that went so far overboard in his views and moderation that he stated he received threats, and since closed the forum.

As much as I might have differing views on the moderation here at times, you and others have done a great job at trying to find that "happy balance". Having run a BBS so many years ago, I understand that can be a task that is near impossible. but some how all of the mods here seem to be able to it.

And it speaks volumes that this is the only forum that I contribute on at least (if not more) daily. And is also the only forum that I would sincerely want to contribute my money towards once you open that up again...

11. AmigoMac macrumors 68020

AmigoMac

I had the same idea before opening the thread...

My thought : "Ohh, Edesignuk, here we go again..." :)

12. urban1985_ thread starter macrumors regular

Why? If you banned everyone like that, you'd quickly have no one in your forum. The people keep the forum going.

Let me make this clear.

It's not HIS forum. He created the site, but he alone did not fund it. There are other major contributors, that just don't have the time he has for the site.

And, it doesn't bother me, I continue posting there, not caring if he bans me or anything. I just wanted to know what people thought of the situation.