Opinions on 2 different Mac Pro systems

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by tabsaid, Jan 6, 2007.

1. tabsaid macrumors member

Apples offering me a replacment because they cant fix my current system. I'm looking at these options.

2.66 quad, 8 gigs ram, 500gb HDD, geforce 7300 or....
    3.0 quad, 4 gigs ram, 750gb HDD, ATI x1900xt

I'd like some opinions on what I should do. I use it for music production but 4 gigs of ram should be enough, although 8 is real nice. I'd like to play some windows games on this too. Im not too concerned about the video card since I can easily upgrade but it does sweeten the deal for the 3.0. Im really on the fence with this one.
    Thanks

2. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

I'm not sure if its worth getting more than 4 gigs of RAM now, because current apps have hard time using more than 4. If you work with more than one RAM-intensive app at a time, its definately worth it.

I think you should get 3 GHz one and add RAM later, if you feel that its what slowing your system down.

3ghz MP is also much better overally equipped (HD, video, CPU) and should be more future-proof.

3. dollystereo macrumors 6502a

dollystereo

For music prod is absolutelyunnesesary 8 Gig of ram. Even with all your apps open at same time plus, ichat, safari, iDvd, itunes, preview etc....

4. tabsaid thread starter macrumors member

yeah, thats what I was thinking. I could only see myself using it on Pro-tools or Logic plug-ins but even then 4 is plenty to work with. I didnt relize Apple charges 1400 for 800 worth of RAM. I knew it was more but thats crazy. The 3ghz is definetly looking to be a much better deal. Thank you both for the suggestions.

5. FireArse macrumors 6502a

which one...

Just for my curiosity, what went wrong on your original mac? And what was its spec? Either way, both setups will be just fine. I'd go with the 3GHz myself. If you have extra cash lying around, bump up the RAM. Oh, and the grahics card is better for the odd game....

:)

6. tabsaid thread starter macrumors member

I had a dual 2.7 with 8 gigs RAM. Machine fried both my hard drives at once so I brought it to Apple. They effectivly screwed around playing chop shop mix and match with my machine for 5 weeks. They still can't fix it, so they are offering me a much better replacment because they dropped the ball on their end. Smart though becuase I was indeed very angry with their incompatence, but this would definetly make up for it. I really like how far Apple will go to keep the customer happy.

7. michaelsaxon macrumors 6502

If you intend to game, I'd definitely get the upgraded graphics card.