Opinions on backlit keyboard: necessary?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by montster, Sep 17, 2003.

1. montster macrumors newbie

i'm about 95 percent sold on buying the low-end 15-inch powerbook, but i wanted to get people's opinions on the backlit keyboard. i know there's an option to add it if i order online; however, there's an apple store nearby and, because this would be my first mac purchase, i'd prefer to buy it in person (plus i wouldn't have to wait for it to ship). the powerbook would be for my wife and i to use; we both work, so no need to worry about seeing the keyboard in dark classrooms. aside from the "cool" factor, anyone out there run into any non-school-related situations where the backlit keyboard was essential? thanks.

monty

2. Zeke macrumors 6502

I looked at both and can't understand why anyone would buy the low model. If you customize the 1.25 with the smaller hd and the combo-drive you've now dropped the gap between the 2 models to only ~$250. If you opt for the backlit keyboard on the lower model it's now only $200 for the extra 250 Mhz. Seems silly not to spend the extra two c-notes.

3. baby duck monge macrumors 68000

baby duck monge

well there are times other than being in a classroom that you could be using the keyboard in the dark. you could be at home at night and not want to turn the lights on as to not disturb anyone. you could be on a late flight. the power could go out, and you could still need to finish some work.

if the difference in price is not much, i would definitely recomend it. you would also be getting a computer that would last *slightly* longer because of its faster processor etc...

that and it really is cool. i got to play around with one of the 17"ers last night in a dark room (during a presentation), and the keyboard made the whole process much more enjoyable.

4. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

would you spend more money on a new car if it had leather seats?

there's your answer.

pnw

5. rueyeet macrumors 65816

rueyeet

No. Leather seats are sticky and hot in summer. :D

Personally I don't see that the backlit screen is strictly necessary outside of a professional low-light production area or classroom setting. For me, the light given off by the apps on my screen has always been quite enough to see what I'm typing, with no other light in the room. With touch-typing, one hardly ever looks at the keyboard anyway.

6. P-Worm macrumors 68020

P-Worm

Personally, I think backlit SCREENS are pretty important. But maybe that's just me. ;)

P-Worm

7. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

i really wish apple had a keyboard you could buy like this. i have a black keyboard and like to game at night with the lights off. Typing is murder. those keyboards are just to sweet.

8. Freg3000 macrumors 68000

Freg3000

Ok. Here is the deal. The 1.25 Ghz PB is a better value. It is just a bit more money for 250 more MHz. I'd get the 15", take a look.

Attached Files:

9. iPC macrumors 6502

iPC

Knock the Super Drive down to a combo drive and you are at $2399.... (I think that is what I will be getting soon)

10. montster thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the advice, everyone. it looks like the best deal for me would be ordering the 1.25 ghz 15-inch and downgrading to the 60G hard drive and combo drive, which is all i need. i would've had to get an airport extreme card anyway, so the price difference really is only about $200. i was just hoping to avoid ordering from the web site to save shipping costs (which were less than i expected after checking the site) and because i live in an nyc apt building with no doorman (making it difficult to get packages delivered without having to go pick them up at the post office), but it's worth the extra wait to get the better deal. thanks again,

monty

11. Moxiemike macrumors 68020

Moxiemike

Ha! The only people who ever seem to complain about leather seats are those who don't have them, and the only complaint is "they're sticky and hot in the summer"

Well, i've just finished my first leather seat summer, in the humidity capital of the world, with MANY MANY hot and sticky days and not once did my ass stick to the leather seats. I dunno where this myth comes from, but to be honest, the leather seats were infinitely more comfortable than the old school velour seats in my old car. Especially in the summer.

Smooth, supple and conforming leather versus sponge like, sweat soaking velour.

Hehehe

12. iPC macrumors 6502

iPC

Can you accept deliveries at work? That is what I do...

13. montster thread starter macrumors newbie

nope. mail room opens up all packages, ever since the anthrax scare. similar situation at my wife's company. i think i may just have it delivered to the apple store, if they do that sort of thing.

monty

14. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

Yes, i actually prefer leather to most fabrics in the summer, especially softer leather that has broken in a bit. I think the myth was started with vinyl seats that were made to look just like leather; when your sweat touches vinyl you will indeed stick (well, exposed flesh will. you may not want to drive nekked.)

But on to my point. As posted above, I too wish Apple went for backlit normal keyboards... tho it's less likely than ever since they went to wireless. But it would be so nice, not to mention trés cool...

pnw

15. applemacdude macrumors 68040

applemacdude

It's not essential but its a luxury. But its so cool. I wish te 15inchers had ambient lighting too but they dont:(