Opinions on Laptop Coolers?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dropscience, Oct 5, 2006.

1. dropscience macrumors newbie

dropscience

As you know, Powerbooks and MacBooks can get pretty hot. Besides tweaking with the Internal Fans has anyone bothered with external laptop coolers and what's your opinion on them?

2. thebeephaha macrumors 6502

thebeephaha

3. dropscience thread starter macrumors newbie

dropscience

is that the aluminum one?

i made the impatient mistake of getting the vantec lapcool3 since it was the cheapest. i didn't pay attention to the RPM and this thing only runs at 1500rpm non-adjustable.

in the market for whatever you guys consider is the best!

4. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

I have a targus tornado (or some name similar to that) and it has two fans but the USB cable that connected them to the laptop for power frayed and it wasn't even my fault because I barely use that. I just use it to get the bottom of the laptop off my lap, although I am mad that the cord frayed and will have to take it back to compUSA soon to see if they will give me a new one.

5. jamone80 macrumors regular

do these fans actually make a difference? the heat vents on a MB are on the screen hinge but the cooling fans are directly on the bottom....is there a significant change in temp?

6. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

From what I remember is that it was a 10F difference.

7. jamone80 macrumors regular

hmmm, that might actually be worth a $30 investment.

8. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

10 F? What a crappy cooler. Fans blowing directly onto the bottom of the machine should cool it more than 10 F.

I have the Spire Pacific Breeze thing, it tilts the machine at an angle and makes typing a little more comfortable. I don't use my machine on my lap, though, so this is probably not the best solution if that's what you'll be doing.

9. dropscience thread starter macrumors newbie

dropscience

the coolers actually don't blow air onto the machine but rather sucks it in and channels it out the back of the cooler.

10. thebeephaha macrumors 6502

thebeephaha

No.. Most blow onto them. Sucking air is far less efficient as hot air rises.

11. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

It was the only fan cooler CompUSA had in stock. I should have waited until I went to Fry's and then looked at the selection there.

12. jamone80 macrumors regular

you know any specific model @ frys? i'm kinda looking into it...

13. jamone80 macrumors regular

is this the one with blue light? if it is, is there a way to get rid of em? i dont want my laptop to look like a rice rocket.

14. Bibulous macrumors 6502a

I have used zip loc bags with ice cubes when running hand break, keeps the fans from running nicely on my older G4 powerbook.

15. NewSc2 macrumors 65816

iCurve was pretty good. It doesn't have a fan but just raising the laptop in the air kept the notebook cooler, and the viewing angle is nice when raised too. Buy a bluetooth or usb keyboard to go with it

16. rs1985 macrumors member

that notepad is the best you can get
    i am using it
    and my computer never over heat

17. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

I'd suggest looking at this page, it's Fry's online website. From all of the ones avaliable I'd say the Coolmaster Notepal looks to be the best. It has the fans toward the rear of it so with the new macbooks that would be where the heat vent is if I'm not mistaken, so that would probably cool it better. The Vantec Lapcool 4, also looks to be pretty good because you get adjustable fan speeds and the 4 port USB hub looks to be useful. Although I haven't used either product.

18. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

Wouldn't that cause condensation and ruin the laptop in the long run?

19. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

Laptop coolers? Pretty silly if you ask me. I mean, I'm sure they have their niche applications, IMHO they're totally OTT.

20. n8236 macrumors 65816

iLap.

No wires, no batteries, and it's comfortable.

21. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

yes, and there is a way to get rid of them. Unscrew the fan guards on top and take a pair of sharp-nosed wirecutters (or anything that will cut plastic) and just snip them off. It is on a separate circuit than the fan, so it won't ruin their performance.

I did exactly what I described above right out of the box....LEDs on computer equipment are tacky and annoying.