Opinions on simple graphics for LaTeX docs

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by babucher, Apr 27, 2006.

1. babucher macrumors newbie

I'm interested in finding out what people's opinions are on which program would be the most recommended for generating _very simple_ graphics to include in LaTeX documents. When I say simple, I mean along the lines of just a few lines and curves here and there with some text.

Also, any particular benefits from the graphics filetype for those that will be used in LaTeX documents? I was thinking PDF, but don't really know.

Thanks,
    Brian

2. crees! macrumors 68000

crees!

I don't know what you're talking about with LaTeX documents but I would create them in Illustrator then you can export them in whatever format you need.

3. arf macrumors member

arf

Well for LaTeX documents I use the excellent texshop and the installer instructions they have there. The default install uses pdftex and so I usually create pdf figures and use the {\includegraphics{mypdf.pdf}} syntax.

As for actually creating the pdf's I use the (albeit limited) free version of omnigraffle which makes pretty nice diagrams.

Hope this helps!

4. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

It is my understanding that most of the graphics used in LaTeX publications is in EPSF format. PDF is gaining in popularity.