Opinions on the FireLite drives

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Chip NoVaMac, Jul 27, 2004.

1. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Dec 25, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    Been thinking about a larger drive for PB 12". Thought about doing an upgrade, but the cost is pretty high (install is the main hold back). So I have been thinking about getting a pocket drive. The LaCie drives are interesting, but have seen mixed reports on the reliability.

So the other option would be the FireLite drives. Anyone know how well they standup?

The other option would be to do a drive and case from OWC.
  2. RBMaraman macrumors 65816

Jul 25, 2002
    Prospect, KY
    I use a FireLite drive for DV video storage and such. I think they are excellent.

1. They are extremely quiet.
    2. They are powered over FireWire so no AC Adaptor is needed.
    3. They have 2 FireWire ports so you can daisy chain.
    4. They are small enough to slip into your pocket and carry.

I've had mine for over 2 years, with absolutely no problems.
  3. Peyote macrumors 6502a

Apr 11, 2002
    Just my opinion, but I think that the Firefly drives are a little pricey. I decided to go with the Archos MiniHD. 20Gig, firewire and USB 2.0, and just as small as the Firefly. You can usually find them for around $100.
  4. Chip NoVaMac thread starter macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Dec 25, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    Thanks, I didn't know about the FireFly, I was looking at the FireLite. Don't know much about 1.8" HDD's. The MiniHDD evidently has been discontinued, and came up empty on the search. The replacement is much like the FireFly at the same price.
  5. jemeinc macrumors 6502a

Feb 14, 2004
    South Jersey
    What are the "firelite" drives ?... I have a Lacie (d2 I think) & it's great... Nice & quiet, reasonably priced & perfect for holding video...
  6. yellow Moderator emeritus

Oct 21, 2003
    Portland, OR
    I love mine.. but it's a platonic love.

FireLite drives are small form factor firewire hard drives made (sold) by SmartDisk. Light, fast, quiet.
    I have a 40GB FireLite drive that I've had for about a year. I use it at work to clone machines and it was instrumental in our transition from OS9 to OSX. It gets VERY heavy use, and has stood up very well. I'd add to it a neoprene carrying case if you do get one.