Opinions on wireless routers.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mantic, Apr 1, 2007.

1. mantic macrumors 6502a

I want to upgrade to the new N draft.. Exploring options and looking for opinions on routers.

2. grafikat macrumors 6502a

grafikat

I'm using the belkin Pre-N and the range is absolutely awesome!

3. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

Using the Apple Extreme.

We used the Belkin Pre-N for a a few weeks but ran into some issues - like we couldn't log into it any longer :eek: It ran VERY hot, enough that when you walked by it you could feel the heat. We also where going to have to run it as a Bridge instead of a router to solve some issues on the MacPro (it couldn't see the AppleTalk printers the other Macs could).

SO, we think it was a problem with the heat - but the easiest option was to get the Apple. Been VERy pleased with it - i have signal in my bedroom that i haven't had with any of the 3 other wireless units we have had in service.

I would try another Belkin though - it was nice to set-up and run, just had a bum unit.

4. mantic thread starter macrumors 6502a

But it's not firewalled correct?

5. mantic thread starter macrumors 6502a

Any more opinions.. I have to buy today I would like to hear anything you guys know before I leave.

6. antonwalker macrumors member

Apple or DIR-655. i have the DIR-655 and absolutly loved it. It got a lot of good reviews. I got a linksys at first and thought it was $hi!. Then got the DIR-655 and it blew the linksys away. BTW I have always had problems with any belkin product. Don't know why.... The apple would be a good choice too because it would be super compatible with all the other apple products.

7. aristobrat macrumors G4

When technology is in the PRE or DRAFT phase, I've seen it generally recommended that to try to keep that technology from the same manufacturer if possible.

i.e. a Linksys draft-N router is likely to have better throughput with Linksys wifi card, Belkin w/ Blekin, Apple w/ Apple, etc.

I have the 802.11n Airport Extreme and love it. In my house, it's got great range, it's been reliable (i.e. no weird lockups), and I've had no problems using it to share my laser printer/USB disk with the other people in my house.

It's more expensive than other routers in its class, but my experience has been "it just works".

8. mantic thread starter macrumors 6502a

Will I be able to upgrade it when N is finalized?

9. aristobrat macrumors G4

I think most people expect that DRAFT equipment will be upgradeable, but there's always a chance that it might not be. IMO, the chance that it won't be upgradeable is pretty small.

10. mantic thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well right now i'm looking at the Netgear WNR854t... Opinions there?

11. aristobrat macrumors G4

I have no personal experience with it, but if you haven't already checked Amazon and NewEgg, here are their users' reviews:

Amazon users give it 3 stars out of 5 (39 reviews):
    http://www.amazon.com/Netgear-WNR85...1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1176408510&sr=8-1
    (not much difference in ratings on Amazon between that and the Airport Extreme, which had 3.5 stars / 13 reviews)

NewEgg users also give it 3 stars out of 5 (60 reviews):
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833122100

I've had a few NetGear products and never had any problems with them...

12. samfeldman macrumors newbie

samfeldman

Netgear = bad

Netgear, to me, has always been really terrible. I've had lockup issues, had to reset and re-tool, etc. It seemed to have more faults than California.

Apple makes just about the only routers I trust. I've had the original Airport and now the express, and soon to get the extreme. I've only heard good things about all three along the way from friends, etc.

Good luck, and have fun!

13. aristobrat macrumors G4

14. mantic thread starter macrumors 6502a