Opinions Please - THANKS EVERYONE!!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by sblasl, Dec 14, 2006.

1. sblasl macrumors 6502a

sblasl

I want to get my Daughter an upgrade from her old iBook. What would you purchase? I would be taking advantage of the Education pricing if I bought the new Core 2 Duo. She surfs, emails, iChat, iTunes/iPod, and uses Word, PowerPoint, & Excel.

Thanks

NEW - $1,117.00
    1.83GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    1GB memory
    60GB hard drive
    Combo drive

REFURB - $1,049.00
    2.0GHz Intel Core Duo
    1GB memory
    80GB hard drive
    SuperDrive (DVD±RW/CD-RW)

2. hayduke macrumors 65816

hayduke

Refurb...if you want to be extra safe you can pay for AppleCare, but I would only pay for that near the end of the first year you own it. That way is something starts to go wrong late in the first year you can buy the extended AppleCare, but otherwise you might opt out.

3. Jollins macrumors regular

Jollins

Go for the refurb. DVD burning is a very useful feature to have around, even if she doesn't do movie-stuff.

4. sblasl thread starter macrumors 6502a

sblasl

Thanks for the replies, keep 'em coming.

If possible & you have the time, can you please explain why you would choose the system you are recommending?

Also, did the original Mac Books run excessively hot, make noises, and was the discoloration a widespread issue or limited to a limited production run?

5. Jollins macrumors regular

Jollins

The CD macbooks run only about five degrees Fahrenheit hotter than the C2D ones according to this. Also, both the CD and C2D ones make the same noises, and discoloration was fixed a while ago.

6. sblasl thread starter macrumors 6502a

sblasl

I have never purchased a "REFURB" system before, what can one expect cosmetically on the Mac Book? Does the screen have any scars or blemishes and what would the actual case look like?

7. sblasl thread starter macrumors 6502a

sblasl

8. GnarleyMarley macrumors 6502

GnarleyMarley

I purchased a refurb and it was basically new cosmetically. To my knowledge, they replace all the casing, keyboard and trackpad on refurbs.

9. Blurb macrumors member

I never bought refurb'd computers before switching to Apple 5 years ago, but since then I have bought, or assisted others with buying several types of refurb'd Apple products. I have never been disappointed in any of the refurb's products. Other than arriving in a brown box that states refurbished apple product on it, I would never know a refurb's unit vs. a new one. They are cosmetically perfect and opening the packaging is like opening a new unit.

Some regular long-term Apple folk will even argue that they prefer refurb'd units over new ones as they know that unit has had to pass a second QC inspection. I am one of those. You can't beat the savings!

10. wiseguy27 macrumors 6502

wiseguy27

Definitely!!! Combo drives are so ancient, I don't understand why Apple still uses them to differentiate between products!!! Plus, the refurb also has 20GB more HDD space - it will be useful!!!

Go for the refurb and get Apple Care as others have suggested!

11. nsbio macrumors 6502a

nsbio

Very useful - not necessarily. Among three Apples with superdrives that I have access to, a total of 3 DVDs were burned in about a 2-year time period. I could have done without the "super" in lieu of an extra discount...

Also, a new item as a gift is better than a refurbished one. I would say go for the refurb if you were shopping for yourself, and with the new one for a gift.

12. ero87 macrumors 65816

ero87

well... a functioning computer (checked TWICE!) is better than a broken one as a gift. although I wonder why the computer was returned in the first place. I've had 2 replacement refurb iPods, and both had hard drive failures within months.

i'm ambivalent.

13. CaptainCaveMann macrumors 68000

CaptainCaveMann

Well the nice thing about refurbs are they come boxed like new. So you still get the feeling of opening a new laptop. However, your daughter might be picky with scratches and such and i know that some refurbs have been known to come with MINOR scratches. But then again the refurb has a dvd burner (a very nice feature) and that comes in very handy when using imovie.

14. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I'd rather have a refurbished machine and that one has better specifications in general. It's nice to have the newer processor for the mild speedup and improved battery life but the older machine is a better deal.

My refurbished PowerBook is going on 2 years and I've not had a problem.

15. ziwi macrumors 65816

ziwi

Refurb - simply because of the superdrive - burning DVD's will come in handy whether it be for projects or true backups.

16. mccldwll macrumors 65816

I would have no problem w/ refurb, but there are three more that you might want to put in the mix [IMO, new combo not a great deal compared to new super since larger hd and 1gb for only $83]. Edu on the new c2d w/ superdrive is $1200. Refurb on a combo w/ 512 and 60 gb is only $800 (and w/ a superdrive $900). Most agree that need 1gb, but that's less than $100 to add later. So if heat and pre-n not issues, refurb combo for $900 (after add 1 gb) or new super for $1200 (w/ refurb super in the middle).

17. AppleIntelRock macrumors 65816

AppleIntelRock

I would pick the refurbished machine for a few reasons. While you're saving $150, you're gaining a DVD burner as well as a larger hard drive. Personally, I couldn't imagine buying a computer that couldn't burn DVD- especially in what is essentially 2007.

18. sblasl thread starter macrumors 6502a

sblasl

Based on the input from those that responded, I went with the REFURB.

No guilt either as it relates to purchasing a new or refurb as it isn't a "gift". I just take care of her technology needs...:D

19. CaptainCaveMann macrumors 68000

CaptainCaveMann

Great choice, she will love it! ;) :D

20. southbark macrumors regular

Amazon has rebates on apples right now upt 200 bucks and it comes out a little cheaper with the rebate because they do not charge tax or shipping and also its only good until 12/19

21. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

Refurb defo, You might even get 'silent' upgrades like more RAM and a bigger HDD making it even more of a bargain. Best part, you have standard warranty which is upgradeable.

22. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

the rebates are rolling. there will be another one as soon as the current one expires.